2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear suspension/axle reflip (putting it back to stock hight)

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2023, 10:26 AM
oldustrr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear suspension/axle reflip (putting it back to stock hight)

I recently bought a 2000 1500 5.9 automatic

with 141k miles in a trade for a 2wd 4Runner with 235k miles but it’s axle flipped and what looks to be a suspension lower on the front. I can send some photos of both but can send more extensive photos when I get off work. My question is for both the front and the back, what do I need to do to get it back to stock? The rear is the one I need more info on as I already bought oem springs for the front but will take advice and instruction on what to do for the front end too. The rear has what looks like reversed shackles and the leaf springs are under the axle. How would I go about reversing that and are there any diagrams anywhere that I can look at while working on it in the shop so I don’t screw anything up? Thanks in advance.
EDIT: he didn’t cut into the frame

Old 12-28-2023, 10:40 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,189 Likes on 2,942 Posts

The shackles are likely factory position. Though I don't see any pics of them. A common mod was to flip the shackles, to eliminate the block between the axle and spring. It looks like there are just some blocks above the springs on yours, and the spring perches, etc, are still in the stock location, so, putting the axle back under the spring shouldn't be too difficult. Just need the blocks, and correct u-bolts. (I suspect the plates that are there are stock as well.... but, wouldn't hurt to grab them from whatever donor vehicle you get the blocks and such from.)

Front is likely just lowering springs. So, swapping them out should solve that problem.

Old 12-28-2023, 10:46 AM
oldustrr

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The shackles are likely factory position. Though I don't see any pics of them. A common mod was to flip the shackles, to eliminate the block between the axle and spring. It looks like there are just some blocks above the springs on yours, and the spring perches, etc, are still in the stock location, so, putting the axle back under the spring shouldn't be too difficult. Just need the blocks, and correct u-bolts. (I suspect the plates that are there are stock as well.... but, wouldn't hurt to grab them from whatever donor vehicle you get the blocks and such from.)

Front is likely just lowering springs. So, swapping them out should solve that problem.
thanks! I have a 3inch leveling kit for both the front and rear as well, after seeing what you said I’ll pick up some new u bolts and blocks and wait on the leveling kit until I measure everything . Kind of new to working on vehicles but I don’t want to shell out more in labor than the parts cost when I could do it myself. Would you know of any rear axle diagrams or photos I could use to go off of while working on it? Thanks’

Old 12-28-2023, 11:03 AM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Did the stock 2wd have blocks at the rear? If not, looks like you can get away just unbolting the axle and flipping it under the springs, and use existing U-bolts and plate, and see how you like the height.

Old 12-28-2023, 11:12 AM
oldustrr

Originally Posted by HeikIlm
Did the stock 2wd have blocks at the rear? If not, looks like you can get away just unbolting the axle and flipping it under the springs, and use existing U-bolts and plate, and see how you like the height.
I think it did? Because it’s lowered I haven’t been able to get all the way in there but after work today I will try again. Also I am not sure if my leaf springs need replaced, do they look shot or is that just surface rust? Thanks for all the help!

EDIT: it doesn’t look like it has blocks, should I either get oem blocks or use the 3inch leveling blocks I bought?

Last edited by oldustrr; 12-28-2023 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-28-2023, 11:21 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,189 Likes on 2,942 Posts

Download the factory service manual for your truck from here. Lots of useful information in there.

Old 12-29-2023, 07:21 AM
oldustrr

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Download the factory service manual for your truck from here. Lots of useful information in there.
im seeing online for a 3in leveling kit I need to get a differential drop but I can’t find one anywhere, should I be ok just running the leveling kit? I have new ball joints and coil springs already, would a 3inch kit put stress on the front?

Old 12-31-2023, 11:28 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 123 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by oldustrr
im seeing online for a 3in leveling kit I need to get a differential drop but I can’t find one anywhere, should I be ok just running the leveling kit? I have new ball joints and coil springs already, would a 3inch kit put stress on the front?
There's not really a "differential drop" for a solid axle. You probably should get control arm drop brackets, but you can try 3" without. Your control arm angles will be steeper and you risk a harsher ride and death wobble from insufficient caster. Also your axle will get pulled to one side of the vehicle with track bar angle correction

Old 01-01-2024, 04:47 AM
HeikIlm
Captain

Originally Posted by Keith_L
There's not really a "differential drop" for a solid axle. You probably should get control arm drop brackets, but you can try 3" without. Your control arm angles will be steeper and you risk a harsher ride and death wobble from insufficient caster. Also your axle will get pulled to one side of the vehicle with track bar angle correction
Not in this case, as the OP has a 2 wd truck.

The following users liked this post:
Keith_L (01-01-2024)
Old 01-01-2024, 05:33 AM
HeikIlm
Captain

Originally Posted by oldustrr
I think it did? Because it’s lowered I haven’t been able to get all the way in there but after work today I will try again. Also I am not sure if my leaf springs need replaced, do they look shot or is that just surface rust? Thanks for all the help!

EDIT: it doesn’t look like it has blocks, should I either get oem blocks or use the 3inch leveling blocks I bought?
According to parts manual, light duty truck (which 1500 is) didn't have blocks between the axle and the spring. Part #17:

Light duty (1), not marked on the line section at the part #17:

Quick Reply: Rear suspension/axle reflip (putting it back to stock hight)