2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2024, 12:18 AM
Dodgeman999
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering

My steering is very loose and squirrely (sometimes it turns easier one way sometimes it catches and turns like normal some times you have a full half rotation before it catches and the truck sometimes wanders around on the road) the front stabilizer shock was shot and had it replaced so now the truck doesn’t sway when turning but it still has very bad steering, what all parts should I look into replacing (I was thinking all new steering box and all new shackles and bushings) would it be in my best interest to just go ahead and save up to replace all steering components at 160k miles or just replace a few for now and wait to replace the rest later?

Old 01-24-2024, 03:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,374 Likes on 3,115 Posts

With the truck on the ground, sit someone else in the drivers seat, key on, engine off, have them GENTLY rock the steering wheel back and forth till they are just barely encountering resistance. You watch the various steering parts, see what moves, that shouldn't, and what doesn't move, that should. That'll give you a good idea of what needs replaced.

Steering boxes in these trucks are notorious for over-center wear.... so, you get some steering wheel movement before it actually starts influencing your direction of travel.

Quick Reply: Steering