2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No bus ground issues 2001 1500

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2024, 09:45 PM
Mneukirch86
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the extra info. I’m gonna try to go through things tomorrow morning.

Random thought, but do you think me installing an aftermarket radio may have affected this my other vehicle that I pulled out of had a very confused misfire problem that still hasn’t been fully fixed
And now I have this electrical problem in my truck

Old 01-28-2024, 01:58 PM
Mneukirch86
Rookie

so today I was able to check all my grounds with the exception of the ECM ground, which I cannot find. I also cannot find where the ECM is. I know where my PCM is not ECM. The truck ran for approximately 40 minutes without a problem was able to drive around the block multiple times without issue I parked it and then within 10 minutes it shut off I was able to scan. It came up with no codes with the exception of three ABS codes. Before it went into no bus
I checked my connections for my TPS and crank sensors (both of those sensors have been changed out as of this week) and the ground at my diagnostic port was good as well as all my fuses and my connections for the remote start in the dash harness. I​ was running for that 40 minute timeframe. I moved the harness and plugs that connect to the PCM and no change was noted at at any time.

i did find this ? harness plug behind my left wheel but unable to get it apart

Last edited by Mneukirch86; 01-28-2024 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-28-2024, 04:50 PM
DerTruck
All Star
Received 103 Likes on 98 Posts

There is no ECM on gas trucks, it is only present on 24 valve diesels. I'm impressed your scan tool can talk to the ABS controller because that one is on the CCD bus (most cheaper tools don't implement the CCD protocol). The DTCs appear to relate to internals of the module but you can try disconnecting it at the controller near the brake master cylinder. While you're at it spray the connector with contact cleaner, it helped when I had some weird ABS circuit codes a few years back.

Old 01-29-2024, 06:45 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 390 Likes on 367 Posts

I moved the harness and plugs that connect to the PCM and no change was noted at at any time.
Did you take them off and inspect the terminals? A lot of the no buss issues are a connection at the pcm. Also look up the ground wires/locations in the factory manual here. I believe there is more than one ground wire going to the pcm.

Old 01-29-2024, 06:48 AM
Mneukirch86
Rookie

I’m going to spend some time today. Use electrical contact cleaner on all the multi plugs I can find including the PCM. Hopefully it will help the problem. It’s weird because there’s sometimes I’ll move the harness on the PCM and it will die and other times it won’t do anything at all. It will just keep running.
my concern is that this occurs randomly I could literally get it running perfectly fine and drive around for 10 minutes or 40 minutes and then randomly park it it will just die spontaneously. It’s a really bizarre issue and it’s kind of concerning. I hate to be on the highway just to have it randomly die to a dead stop

Old 01-29-2024, 09:45 AM
Mneukirch86
Rookie

So I spent time and cleaned all the connectors I can find, including the PCM. It appears to be happier. However, I’ve had it stopped running three times.
One time showed no bus, but that went away in about a minute and I was able to start it again
Two other times, it just died and I was able to start again
I also have noted random no connection at the data port by the scanner, but vehicle would remain running

I put the probe on my cam sensor and noticed 5 V on one wire a ground on the other and then while running I was getting a ground and a 4.6-4.8 V back-and-forth on one of the wires I don’t know if that’s it’s proper signal operation
And I noted one 5 V positive and two grounds while engine was off

and while it remains saying no bus, I also individually pulled plugs on sensors, while key was on and I have yet to find one that causes the no bus to return to normal

Last edited by Mneukirch86; 01-29-2024 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-29-2024, 03:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,402 Likes on 3,142 Posts

That is correct for the cam sensor. Its just a hall effect switch. Tells the PCM where you are in the firing order. Theoretically, the PCM only uses it at startup..... but, I can't swear to that.

I still think you have a sensor that is failing. Determining which one is the fun part.....

Old 01-29-2024, 03:55 PM
Mneukirch86
Rookie

Yea I know it’s a pain I’ve checked every
sensor I could find on the engine and did not find a issue I changed the TPS and Crank sensor

I also cleaned main harness plugs at PCM and under left dash, and behind left fender

i also disconnected harness from ABS module

and cleaned connections behind cluster .

Old 01-29-2024, 03:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,402 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Don't forget the O2 sensors.... They are notorious for causing some interesting issues. Doesn't set codes either.....

Something else to try, as next time it comes up with the 'no bus' error, try pressing on the PCM connectors, see if the error goes away. (two people makes this exercise easier.)

Old 01-29-2024, 04:14 PM
Mneukirch86
Rookie

I didn’t check my O2 sensors because my scanner was reading both of them as operating correctly

Quick Reply: No bus ground issues 2001 1500