2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What's causing my misfire?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2024, 05:50 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by neanderthal
Ah, good to know. While I guess I should definitely change the timing chain soon (thanks for the tips), how would I actually verify that that is my problem? I do not want to go through the chain change and still have the misfire. I do not presume it is because of the plugs since only one is misfiring (I stayed away from Bosch plugs). How do I actually diagnose where my misfire is coming from? How do I know it isn't PCM or injector wiring related?

If you need to replace the water pump go ahead and do the chain too as 80% of the work is already done. On these trucks, it's a bit labor intensive due to how the distributor is tucked away in back. Put a white mark with soap stone or something on the harmonic balancer. Rotate the engine by hand using a socket and put it at TDC on the timing mark. Remove the distributor cap and using a paint or other marker, but NOT a pencil, mark where the rotor is pointing. Now rotate the engine backwards slowly until the rotor starts to move in the distributor. 3 or 4 degrees is okay. 5 or 10 or 15 degrees is not.

The following users liked this post:
neanderthal (02-13-2024)

Quick Reply: What's causing my misfire?