2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What's causing my misfire?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2024, 04:49 PM
neanderthal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's causing my misfire?

1997 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.9l.

Codes for misfire (P0300) and misfire at cylinder 1 (P0301).

I have changed all the spark plugs and spark plug wires, the distributor cap and rotor, and the cylinder 1 fuel injector (as long as cylinder 1 is indeed the one furthest front on the driver side).

Still rough idle occassionally and same misfire codes popped back up.

What do I do next??

Old 02-09-2024, 06:31 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

Getting good spark on number 1?

The following users liked this post:
neanderthal (02-12-2024)
Old 02-09-2024, 08:07 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 339 Likes on 320 Posts
Lightbulb

Also, may have cracked the porcelain of the spark plug during installation. That will certainly cause a misfire. What type of spark plugs are you using? Copper plugs tend to work best in these motors.

neanderthal (02-12-2024)
Old 02-10-2024, 11:13 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by neanderthal
1997 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.9l.

Codes for misfire (P0300) and misfire at cylinder 1 (P0301).

I have changed all the spark plugs and spark plug wires, the distributor cap and rotor, and the cylinder 1 fuel injector (as long as cylinder 1 is indeed the one furthest front on the driver side).

Still rough idle occassionally and same misfire codes popped back up.

What do I do next??

How manmiles on the engine? If it's over 120K, has the timing chain ever been replaced?

neanderthal (02-12-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 10:25 AM
neanderthal

I'm using double platinum on all of them. I even pulled it back out and rechecked the gap.

Old 02-11-2024, 10:26 AM
neanderthal

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
How manmiles on the engine? If it's over 120K, has the timing chain ever been replaced?
I'm right at 121,000. And no, haven't done that....any advice on how to do it? Does it need to be done? I guess I thought with a chian I wouldn't have to worry...

Old 02-11-2024, 11:36 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

Originally Posted by neanderthal
I'm right at 121,000. And no, haven't done that....any advice on how to do it? Does it need to be done? I guess I thought with a chian I wouldn't have to worry...
The stock chain is a morse style. (stamped steel plates riveted together) and very prone to stretching.

neanderthal (02-12-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 12:17 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

In addition to the chain stretching, the factory cam gear is plastic coated. They tend to crack at the teeth. It would be a good idea to replace the timing chain set with a good double roller timing chain and gear set. I'm sure there are several YouTube videos that show how to remove & replace a Dodge Ram 5.9 magnum timing chain & gear set, if you're inclined to do the job yourself.

Might also want to try some copper spark plugs to see if your misfire issue clears up, as platinum plugs (especially Bosch) don't tend to work well in these motors.

neanderthal (02-12-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 01:29 PM
neanderthal

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The stock chain is a morse style. (stamped steel plates riveted together) and very prone to stretching.
Originally Posted by AtomicDog
In addition to the chain stretching, the factory cam gear is plastic coated. They tend to crack at the teeth. It would be a good idea to replace the timing chain set with a good double roller timing chain and gear set. I'm sure there are several YouTube videos that show how to remove & replace a Dodge Ram 5.9 magnum timing chain & gear set, if you're inclined to do the job yourself.

Might also want to try some copper spark plugs to see if your misfire issue clears up, as platinum plugs (especially Bosch) don't tend to work well in these motors.
Ah, good to know. While I guess I should definitely change the timing chain soon (thanks for the tips), how would I actually verify that that is my problem? I do not want to go through the chain change and still have the misfire. I do not presume it is because of the plugs since only one is misfiring (I stayed away from Bosch plugs). How do I actually diagnose where my misfire is coming from? How do I know it isn't PCM or injector wiring related?

Old 02-11-2024, 01:45 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

A couple of quick things to check...

- Pull the #1 spark plug and swap it with a known good plug and see if anything changes.
- Ohm test the offending spark plug wire with a multi-meter to ensure it isn't bad.

neanderthal (02-12-2024)

Quick Reply: What's causing my misfire?