2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New (to me) 97 Dodge. Starts then stalls.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 09:20 PM
BRaff
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New (to me) 97 Dodge. Starts then stalls.

Hello all. I am new to this site and new to owning a Dodge. I am looking for ideas/a direction to look for the issue I am having with the truck I bought. (I knew there was an issue upon buying, the seller was very honest!)
I bought a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 2.5L 4x4 with only 85k!!!
Upon buying the seller told me he bought the truck and did some minor work to it. Had a kid and lost his job, so he didn't have time/money to keep working on the truck.

The truck starts and runs, but then shuts off. I sent the truck to my mechanic who replaced the alternator and put in a new PCM that I ordered from Flagship One. (Plug and play PCM that was formatted from supplying the VIN #)
My mechanic was still unable to get the truck to keep running. It continued to start, run, then shut off. They suggested I send it to a Dodge Dealership for further troubleshooting.

I sent the truck to my local Dodge Dealership...This is where I ran into issues. I had the truck towed to Dodge and it has literally sat in their lot for 10 months... I called every week to see what they were doing or what they have found out. I got nothing but the run around for almost a year. Finally had enough and went to the dealership in person to ask what they were doing and tell them I was having it towed to a different dealership.
I was charged $1500 from the Dealership for various 'fixes' that I didn't know they did. (they never called and asked if I wanted them to go ahead and make these fixes/order parts...but that is what it is at this point.
The Dodge Dealership replaced the timing chain and timing gasket set, changed all spark plugs and the secondary ignition wiring set, changed the distrubator cap and rotor.
The truck continues to start, run, then die

I can and will send it to another mechanic, but was hoping for input from others who have had this issue?? Where should I be looking? What other areas should I suggest the mechanic look into? Any help/direction will be greatly appreciated! I'm a pretty handy person, but have only ever had/tinkered around with jeeps. I feel like I will just be adding a yard decoration if I try to fix it myself sadly. I just want to drive this sweet old truck and tow my pop-up.

Please help a girl out!!

Also wanted to add.... New battery was installed by former owner as well as new fuel pump.
Both mechanics are leaning towards an unknown electrical issue.

Video link added.
https://youtu.be/SlHs4KIpU1c?si=AUR17hBFtdTsxFrZ

Last edited by BRaff; 02-29-2024 at 07:34 PM. Reason: More information
Old 02-28-2024, 09:57 PM
Keith_L
Record Breaker
Received 125 Likes on 113 Posts

So I'm not going to be A LOT of help, but when it dies does it sputter and die or is it like a light switch?

The following users liked this post:
BRaff (02-29-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 11:07 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 319 Likes on 301 Posts

If the fuel pressure stays consistent even when it cuts off, it sounds like a faulty crank sensor. If you end up replacing it, be sure to replace it with an OEM Mopar crank sensor, as the aftermarket sensors are very often problematic.

BRaff (02-29-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 06:30 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 364 Likes on 342 Posts

Can you keep it running if you keep your foot on the gas? Any codes?

Old 02-29-2024, 07:22 PM
BRaff

Originally Posted by Keith_L
So I'm not going to be A LOT of help, but when it dies does it sputter and die or is it like a light switch?
It more so sputters then stalls. The RPMs go up and down for about a minute while the truck is on then it dies.
I have a video of what it's doing and how it dies but I am unsure of how to upload it 😩

Old 02-29-2024, 07:27 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Upload it somewhere else, link to it here.

Sounds like a vacuum leak though....

BRaff (02-29-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 07:33 PM
BRaff

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Upload it somewhere else, link to it here.

Sounds like a vacuum leak though....
Great idea, thanks! Will you let me know if you are able to see the video from this link?

Old 02-29-2024, 07:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Yep, video shows. I would be tempted to start with a good throttle body cleaning, and reset the PCM while you are at it. Start from there.

Also, verify it is an actual mopar IAC in there..... the aftermarket fellers just don't work all that well.

BRaff (02-29-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 07:37 PM
BRaff

Originally Posted by Moparite
Can you keep it running if you keep your foot on the gas? Any codes?
It stays running for longer while pressing the gas. I was able to drive long enough to turn it around in the driveway, but it did stall once during the turn around.
Check engine light is not on, but my friend is dropping off their code reader tomorrow so I can see if there are any codes.

Old 02-29-2024, 07:41 PM
BRaff

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Yep, video shows. I would be tempted to start with a good throttle body cleaning, and reset the PCM while you are at it. Start from there.

Also, verify it is an actual mopar IAC in there..... the aftermarket fellers just don't work all that well.
Thank you! Good idea with posting the video link!
I will be sure to try those suggestions. Would you suggest resetting the PCM even though it is new? I ordered a new one from Flagship One. Came as a plug and play that was built to the vin of the truck

Quick Reply: New (to me) 97 Dodge. Starts then stalls.