2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Loss of power after low oil shut down.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2024, 06:22 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 372 Likes on 350 Posts

Pcm adjusts timing, Look closer on the damper they are there. Use a white paint marker to highlight them.
So have to find TDC with a screwdriver down the spark plug hole. Then check the distributor to see if rotor lines up with number one.
This is where the rotor should be at TDC #1 ON THE COMPRESSION STROKE. Moving the distributor will change the fuel sync NOT the timing.

You can make something like this out of brass fittings to hook up the pressure gauge. Easier than changing the rail.

Old 07-11-2024, 02:49 AM
Jon Johnston
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After checking the distributor and marking TDC on the damper. I am having a timing issue. I couldn't set it at TDC because my motor is dirty. Will need to take some brake-clean with me and spray the timing mark area and maybe use a yellow paint marker to high light my timing marks.
I did spend some time moving the distributor around trying to start it after I moved it. But after moving it more the a way of the way around. Figured I would just wait until I can clean the area. The truck sounds like it wants to start. Just got to find the right spot for the distributor.

Old 07-12-2024, 02:33 AM
Jon Johnston
Rookie

I got the timing all straightened out. But no change. Still doing the same thing. Tryed a different PCM. It wanted to start. Was acting like it wasn't getting enough gas.
Was going to change out my fuel rail and injectors but once I got the line disconnect. I realized that the gas line wouldn't work with the different fuel rail. (Both lines where the same. Male ends). I put the gas line in a bottle to double check the fuel pump. I turned it over for 4 seconds. It put 16 oz of gas into the bottle. It seems like that is a lot of gas for 4 seconds. So I am still not understanding the issue with my truck. I left the line disconnect. So that I can check the pressure tomorrow. I just not understanding how a low oil shut down. Can cause this issue. It ran fine after putting 3 qts in it. But after getting to where I was going. When I started the truck back up. There was no power. The oil is good just below the full mark. There no water in it. Not the head gasket because there no steam coming out the exhaust. Plus I used that head gasket fix because I originally thought it was the head gasket. Truck ran the 30 min that it takes to use that stuff. The blue devil head gasket fix.
So it's getting gas getting spark. Getting air. There no reason why it shouldn't fire up. It wants to. If you hold the gas pedal down. It acts like it is flooded.
It's a brand new battery. I have never had this much trouble figuring out what is wrong with a truck. I have bought my share of trucks from Auctions.
Really need to get back to work.

Old 07-12-2024, 06:49 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion

Still need to check vitals fuel and spark. If you got 49 psi of fuel pressure and spark then check compression.

Old 07-14-2024, 04:40 AM
Jon Johnston
Rookie

Yes I got 49.75 fuel pressure. Fuel injectors are getting signal. Coil is getting good signal.
#2. Is 110
#4. Is 100
#6. Is. 105
#8. Is. 110

Battery went dead before I could check #1 #3 #5 #7

I'm starting to think I got a clogged cat. Exost doesn't smell like rotten eggs. But if doesn't smell like it normally does.
I pulled the O2; sensor that's on the end of the car. Tryed pushing a flex handle for a reach magnet threw the cat. It wouldn't go all the way threw the cat. Stops about 3/4 the way. Tryed forcing it. With no luck. I can stick my pinkie
In the hole and feel a piece of the honey comb and move it around.
Thought about cutting the pipe in half about 6 inches from the cat. I do have a coupling that fits the 3inch pipe as well as two 3 inch clamps. That way I could remove those loose pieces and open up that cat. It's 3 inch pipe from the exit of the cat. Then to a one 3 inch inlet muffler with two 3inch exits. Tags are good till 3-25. If I save the pieces. I can just put them back in before I run it threw DEQ. Or I could put on the registration that I use the truck at my dad's address. There no DEQ in his town.

Suggestions?
I want to thank everyone that has left me comments on this thread. This has been the hardest issue to diagnose. I usually figure out the issue right away. Bought my share of trucks at Auction. Never had any problems figuring out what is wrong with a vehicle. Was always able to get them up and running with in a few days.
I have had my 1500 for almost 10 yrs now. I have changed out the whole suspension and had to do a 3 inch body lift so my tires wouldn't rub. I have never had any issues with it not running. This is the first time having an issue with it not running.
I got my 1500 at auction for $2000 with 68,000 miles on it.
It has 172,000 miles on it now.
​​

Last edited by Jon Johnston; 07-14-2024 at 04:46 AM.
Old 07-14-2024, 05:21 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion

Try running it with the front 02 out. If you have a bore scope you can see what the honeycomb looks like. There was a recall on the earlier trucks for bad cats. Mine was in pieces and would rattle real bad. If you hit the bottom of the cat you would here it rattle. It wasn't clogged just the honeycomb was all broken up.

Old 07-14-2024, 06:48 PM
Jon Johnston
Rookie

I tried starting it with the front 02 sensor out. It wouldn't stay running. Basically acted the same with it in.
I would think that I would be getting codes for something. When I took the 02 sensor out it didn't put any codes up.
Think I will just go threw with my plan on cutting the exost a few inches after the cat. Have what I need to put it back together. But if it's not the cat. Them I will be at a loose on what it could be. Bent Valve? But I think it would run a little bit if a Valve is bent. Unless they are all bent. I have another set of heads that came off an R/T. But was planning on putting those on a 5.9 that Im putting in my single cab Dakota.
I will let you all know what happens after I cut the exost and get it back together. . If it runs normal or not.

Ps is my compression test seem right? Because I don't know how much compression it should have.

Last edited by Jon Johnston; 07-14-2024 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-15-2024, 01:17 AM
Jon Johnston
Rookie

Clogged cat. This whole time.... I cut my exost a few inches from my cat. Drilled some holes threw to the other side of my cat.
Got in the truck. It hesatated for a min. Then fired up. With full RPMs. Didn't sound backed up or nothing.
In fact. Sounded good without a muffler. Going to fix it once I get the truck home.

Quick Reply: Loss of power after low oil shut down.