2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1997 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie 5.9l. 253k miles

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2024, 08:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

There is a check valve in the fuel pump module that is supposed to prevent drainback/pressure bleed off for at least a few minutes after you shut the engine down. It's a common failure, it just causes the engine to want to crank a second or three longer to start. (the fuel pump actually runs as long as the PCM sees the engine turning.)

The following users liked this post:
Lightening Rod (07-03-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 09:22 PM
Lightening Rod
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

..I'm gonna recheck the fuel pressure tomorrow first thing, because I'm new at DIY and new with the tool. Then, I'm gonna pull the pump and try to run those checks. I suspect the pump, as I said when I installed it approx 7 years ago, I needed the cheapest part I could find, and it never operated the dash fuel gauge right, sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. It did correct the problem though, the car would just die, and after the R&R it seemed to run fine. As of today the dash fuel gauge is on empty, empty light is on with a about a half tank.

I'm going to buy a delco unless I see something after removal and inspection that changes my mind, and put that baby to bed. The pump never worked right to begin with and now I'm getting random readings on a fuel pressure gauge when I test it and the dash gauge still doesn't work. If I wasn't new at this and trying to make sure I don't buy an un-needed part, again, I would have changed it already. I can't wait to see what happens tomorrow.

Thanks,

LR

Old 07-15-2024, 07:15 AM
Lightening Rod
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good morning Hey You.

Sorry, I left that page open for the other thread didn't notice it was another person's thread. My apologies to all.

Thank you.

Quick Reply: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie 5.9l. 253k miles