2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 dodge ram 1500 auto to manual swap

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:43 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 371 Likes on 349 Posts

You can test the crank sensor with a meter, It's a lot easier to look at a scanner but it can be done.

Old Today, 06:46 AM
itsGRIM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Highly likely you crunched the crank position sensor when doing the trans swap. It is quite frequently a victim of that exercise.

I didn't think these trucks came with a getrag trans though... Thought they were all NV3500/NV4500?

Just to add, they definitely did come with either an NV3500 or an NV4500 however the getrags will work in place of. However many say they have issues with the getrag, I don’t personally have experience so I can’t say. Just to keep to the subject though, it def seems like your issue is the crank position sensor. I had a very similar issue after rebuilding a 46RE and then installing it. Hit the sensor and couldn’t get it to stay running but it would turn over. Live and learn, I always remove them before taking the trans fully out and install carefully as I’m putting trans back in.

Quick Reply: 2001 dodge ram 1500 auto to manual swap