2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 ride quality issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2024, 07:38 PM
pekulb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 ride quality issues

Hey there I just bought a 1997 dodge ram 1500 4x4 5.9 sport, trying to get handy with these trucks and figure out what the main ride quality issues are. Is it possible to have great steering or is it a dodge thing?

I have replaced all wheel bearings, new shocks, new steering dampener, new track bar,

have tested for play on the steering linkage and it seems pretty solid. Whenever I go over a bumper feels like the truck is hitting a wave and just floating over it dramatically.

i have seen the gear boxes are fairly common and I have a loose steering wheel a bit so going too start there next but curious too see if I’m missing something obvious. This truck is low miles ish with 62,000 so shouldn’t be that bad? Thanks for any info

Last edited by pekulb; 07-23-2024 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-23-2024, 07:52 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 585 Likes on 530 Posts

Originally Posted by pekulb
Hey there I just bought a 1997 dodge ram 1500 4x4 5.9 sport, trying to get handy with these trucks and figure out what the main ride quality issues are. Is it possible to have great steering or is it a dodge thing?

I have replaced all wheel bearings, new shocks, new steering dampener, new track bar,

have tested for play on the steering linkage and it seems pretty solid. Whenever I go over a bumper feels like the truck is hitting a wave and just floating over it dramatically.

i have seen the gear boxes are fairly common and I have a loose steering wheel a bit so going too start there next but curious too see if I’m missing something obvious. This truck is low miles ish with 62,000 so shouldn’t be that bad? Thanks for any info

At 62K the box shouldn't be worn out but a lot of back road driving could wear it out. With the age though, I'd check the rag joint where the steering shaft meets the steering box. I've seen those where the shaft was about to come apart from the steering assembly. Have you checked or replaced both tie rods as well as the panhard bar on the front end? I've got a '96 just like yours and the entire steering is new. It still doesn't feel as tight at newer vehicles so don't compare it with a new car.

Old 07-24-2024, 06:34 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 371 Likes on 349 Posts

They don't have rag joints but do have couplers. When i bought my first second gen it had about the same mileage on it. The ball joints had some slop in them so they got replaced.

Old 07-24-2024, 07:30 PM
pekulb

Originally Posted by Moparite
They don't have rag joints but do have couplers. When i bought my first second gen it had about the same mileage on it. The ball joints had some slop in them so they got replaced.

how does it ride now? Is it tight or a lil bumpy?

Old 07-24-2024, 07:35 PM
pekulb

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
At 62K the box shouldn't be worn out but a lot of back road driving could wear it out. With the age though, I'd check the rag joint where the steering shaft meets the steering box. I've seen those where the shaft was about to come apart from the steering assembly. Have you checked or replaced both tie rods as well as the panhard bar on the front end? I've got a '96 just like yours and the entire steering is new. It still doesn't feel as tight at newer vehicles so don't compare it with a new car.
tie rod ends look decent pretty solid. Will check out the rag joint, would you just replace the tie rod ends anyways? And unfortunately will have to keep that in mind lol. What is your ride quality like? Little bumpy at times?

Old 07-24-2024, 09:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,292 Likes on 3,039 Posts

Originally Posted by pekulb
tie rod ends look decent pretty solid. Will check out the rag joint, would you just replace the tie rod ends anyways? And unfortunately will have to keep that in mind lol. What is your ride quality like? Little bumpy at times?
Its a truck. And, it has solid axles front and rear. It is ALWAYS going to ride kinda rough. Tie rod ends may tighten your steering up a bit, but, won't change the ride at all.

Old Yesterday, 06:56 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 371 Likes on 349 Posts

how does it ride now? Is it tight or a lil bumpy?
That was 180K ago, And loose ball joints won't cause it to be "bumpy".
have tested for play on the steering linkage and it seems pretty solid.
How did you test it? Put one wheel on the ground and lift up the other one. Then look at everything while somebody turns the wheel. Reverse the process on the other wheel. Any slop you will be able to see.

Quick Reply: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 ride quality issues