2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A universal question

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:19 AM
Andrew G
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A universal question

Hi all,
New to Dodge ownership
'96 Ram, 5.2l, Auto, extra cab few tasteful mods, RWD. I'm in Australia so don't have quite the availability of parts.
I'm chasing Universal joints but there seems to be several sizes, can anyone advise?
Cheers Andrew

Old Yesterday, 09:39 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 379 Likes on 356 Posts

I'm not sure if the u joints are the same for single shaft or double, You didn't say what you have. May want to post in the second gen category. You could have a look here.

Old Yesterday, 09:43 AM
Andrew G
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by Moparite
I'm not sure if the u joints are the same for single shaft or double, You didn't say what you have. May want to post in the second gen category. You could have a look here.
I'll have a look and let you know

Old Yesterday, 10:48 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 592 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew G
Hi all,
New to Dodge ownership
'96 Ram, 5.2l, Auto, extra cab few tasteful mods, RWD. I'm in Australia so don't have quite the availability of parts.
I'm chasing Universal joints but there seems to be several sizes, can anyone advise?
Cheers Andrew

One piece or two piece shaft? I've got a similar truck. I have the 55.9 as well as 4X4 but I think the rear shaft will be the same.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12573110381...Bk9SR_jNw7e1ZA

My truck uses a two joint, one piece shaft. Both joints are the same. Being in Oz, your price may vary.

Old Yesterday, 11:17 PM
Andrew G
Default Hi mate

I have checked,
2 piece shaft, 3 universal joints, centre bearing.
I'm assuming the parts on eBay you sent the link for are correct by the reading of their description. But there seems to be 2 different dimensions according to another supplier? If you recommend these guys I'll go ahead and order 3 .
Thanks again

Old Today, 02:10 AM
HeikIlm
Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

You can measure them to verify which size you have.

Old Today, 06:04 AM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 592 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrew G
I have checked,
2 piece shaft, 3 universal joints, centre bearing.
I'm assuming the parts on eBay you sent the link for are correct by the reading of their description. But there seems to be 2 different dimensions according to another supplier? If you recommend these guys I'll go ahead and order 3 .
Thanks again

My truck uses a one piece shaft. I think the bearing caps that are clamped in place are the same size. The body might be thicker or thinner depending on the manufacturer.. Does your truck look like mine?

Yours is probably a more solid truck as we do have to deal with ice and snow here, but I think a long bed might have the three piece shaft. I've seen guys use a lighter u-joint then get into some serious heavy pulling and blow the joint when the body fails. When your output shaft really honks down on torque, ALL the power is transmitted by the cast metal of the joint. Are you towing heavy loads or going rock climbing with the truck? I've seen the thick gumbo mud here in the Ohio river valley twist driveshafts under load before a really heavy u-joint failed. The joint in this meme is heavier than what you have but it'll give you an idea of the pressure involved in a little piece of metal.

That's a constant velocity joint on a steering knuckle, but you get the idea. I'd go with Moog brand just to be safe.

Last edited by ol' grouch; Today at 06:08 AM. Reason: i kant spel wurth a durn

Quick Reply: A universal question