2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1995 ram 1500 5.9 wobbling at 45+

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2024, 01:37 PM
Riggie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 ram 1500 5.9 wobbling at 45+

So I bought this 95’ with decent mileage on it. I had to put brand new tires on it, and when I drive 45mph or more I start to get this wobble that feels like it’s coming from the back. I went and rebalanced my tires at a different shop and it didn’t change anything. The shop that I had my tires rebalanced at told me “all 4 wheels are wobbly” and didn’t elaborate on that at all. I have new brakes coming all around because maybe a warped rotor? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Old 08-31-2024, 04:34 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 333 Likes on 315 Posts

The rear has drum brakes on that year. Are your wheels possible bent from hitting potholes? It might be helpful to ask that shop again what he meant by all of the wheels are wobbly...

Is your truck 2wd or 4wd?

The following users liked this post:
Riggie (08-31-2024)
Old 08-31-2024, 06:04 PM
Riggie

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
The rear has drum brakes on that year. Are your wheels possible bent from hitting potholes? It might be helpful to ask that shop again what he meant by all of the wheels are wobbly...

Is your truck 2wd or 4wd?
It’s a 4wd. When I asked the shop what they meant by wobbly wheels they just couldn’t elaborate. I have to replace the brakes all around anyways so maybe that will help but taking it to a different shop and having them look at it could be helpful.

Old 08-31-2024, 09:46 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

Did you drive the truck around 45+ MPH before the tires were changed? If so, did it have the wobble issue during that time?

Lastly, there is a common issue with these trucks called "death wobble". You can find numerous videos about it on YouTube. The cause is typically work front end parts, such as the track bar, ball joints, wheel bearings and tie rod ends.

Old 09-01-2024, 12:29 AM
Riggie

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Did you drive the truck around 45+ MPH before the tires were changed? If so, did it have the wobble issue during that time?

Lastly, there is a common issue with these trucks called "death wobble". You can find numerous videos about it on YouTube. The cause is typically work front end parts, such as the track bar, ball joints, wheel bearings and tie rod ends.
Sadly I cannot remember too much before I truly noticed the issue. When I bought the truck day of, the tire tread on the driver side front blew out. The next day I was able to get it into a shop and I put all 4 new tires on it. Then I was able to drive it normally after like 2 days I noticed the issue. I’ve been trying to do extensive research and have come across the infamous death wobble. The thing about that is my steering wheel has no issue when I’m feeling this wobble. The other thing is, I feel like my steering box is shot. I think it’s shot because I Have a decent amount of play in my steering wheel and the steering box is covered in fluid so I think it’s been leaking and you can see where the rod turns and the pitman and everything else doesn’t. But when it comes to the “wobbling” my steering wheel tends to do just fine.

Old 09-01-2024, 07:28 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 384 Likes on 361 Posts

If you had the DW you would know it! Whole truck shakes and you have to change your underpants. Since your truck has "decent mileage" you should find a shop that can explain things. What is "decent mileage"? I would have the ball joints, track bar and tire rod ends checked for slop regardless.

Old 09-01-2024, 10:42 PM
Riggie

Originally Posted by Moparite
If you had the DW you would know it! Whole truck shakes and you have to change your underpants. Since your truck has "decent mileage" you should find a shop that can explain things. What is "decent mileage"? I would have the ball joints, track bar and tire rod ends checked for slop regardless.
It has 126,000 miles. I feel positive it’s not the death wobble. I still plan on getting it checked but from how everything looks down there everything looks in good shape! The guy I bought the truck from would only use it 2-3 time a year for hunting and camping.

Old Yesterday, 12:28 AM
AtomicDog
Champion

Given the age of the truck, it's good to check the front end parts mentioned for worn parts regardless. It sounds like you're not experiencing death wobble, but play and leaking fluid around the steering box isn't a good thing either, so at a minimum, the steering box and possibly power steering hoses/power steering pump should be replaced to get rid of the steering slop & leakage.

Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,353 Likes on 3,095 Posts

Does it still have stock rims??

Old Today, 01:32 PM
KillerLemming
Professional
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Check your front suspension, steering components, and steering box and make sure they are not worn out, if they are don't cheap out on replacement parts.

Quick Reply: 1995 ram 1500 5.9 wobbling at 45+