2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HELP! Manual 4wd broke and now truck won't move!

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM
Bo4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Manual 4wd broke and now truck won't move!

I think I am stuck between 4wd Low and 2wd and the truck is in a "neutral" state of drive train but not sure.
Truck details:
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie SLT 5.2L Engine

Here is the dilemma, I was shifting from 4wd Low to 2wd and the 4wd shifter got stuck. I tried freeing it by a bit of force then wiggling it, it then became all loose and I was not able to drive forward. Dash light shows 4wd is on. (sorry for not knowing the names. something with the transfer case)

I have discovered that the rod that attaches to the bar which connects to the shifter is not connected and the bar appears to be warped. Want a second opinion from someone who may know something other than basic look and see knowledge.

Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM
Bo4

I cannot make the green rubber connector go back into the hole on the bar.

Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,354 Likes on 3,096 Posts

Take the green feller off the post it is on, then stuff it into the hole on the lever by itself, then use a pair of pliers, or channel locks to squeeze it back in there.

Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM
Bo4

The green feller won't come off without tearing it and I cannot seem to quite get it to line up. Any idea?

Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I don't think you are going to get it thru the hole with it on there...... It's gotta come off. If you have alternate transportation, go to the dealer, and get a new one.... Or, while you are under the truck, (block the wheels...) and shift the transfer case into 2wd.... and take the truck.

Old Yesterday, 07:59 PM
Bo4
Unhappy UPDATE!! Transfer Case is Stuck in 4wd Neutral...

So I have determined with my neighbor that the Transfer Case is stuck in 4wd Neutral causing it to not move. I was trying to shift too hard out of 4wd which caused the bar to break off. I am either going to have my cousin in laws mechanic look at it or it is gonna be sold as is... UNLESS someone can help with a much appreciated fix! Thanks in advance and thank you to HeyYou for the help.

Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM
Bo4

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I don't think you are going to get it thru the hole with it on there...... It's gotta come off. If you have alternate transportation, go to the dealer, and get a new one.... Or, while you are under the truck, (block the wheels...) and shift the transfer case into 2wd.... and take the truck.
How can I shift the transfer case to 2wd?? That is gonna be the fix I need. I can do without 4wd if needed.

Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

There is a lever on the t-case that the shifter is supposed to move. Block the front tires so the truck can't roll, jack up the rear, so both tires are off the ground. Figure out which way the lever on the t-case needs to move to get 2wd. I *think* you want the lever to rotate forward... That assumes that 2wd is the setting with the shift **** closest to the seat... Engine off, trans in park for this exercise.

The following users liked this post:
Bo4 (Today)

Quick Reply: HELP! Manual 4wd broke and now truck won't move!