2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Uhhh just read the description there’s so many things wrong

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:40 PM
nathan3674
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I think that's just tired motor..... Not sure about pricing for motors any more though..... I used to be able to find them every day for under 500 bucks for a reasonable mileage runner.... These days? No clue.... Prices have gone up a bit... You can put your intake on whatever you get though, so, you don't have to do that whole job again....

What year is your truck? If it's 95 or older, and you decide to go with the larger engine, you'll need the PCM from the donor as well. (just needs to be the correct engine size/trans combo, no programming required) If it's 96 or newer, you should be able to have your existing PCM flashed for the larger motor. Assuming, of course, you can find someone that still has the capability..... The dealer tool for it is long outdated, and a lot of dealers don't even have them any more.....

There as differences in engine balance over the years as well... getting the right engine/flexplate/torque converter combo is important......
well I think if it was running lower rpm at 65 it’ll help with the burning oil as well not completely but it’ll help for sure, once this engine won’t start or throws a rod which it will someday I am pulling the trans and sending it straight to the back where it’ll rot it’s still honestly starts and runs great it’s just burning oil and running high rpm and crap

Old Yesterday, 11:00 PM
nathan3674

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I think that's just tired motor..... Not sure about pricing for motors any more though..... I used to be able to find them every day for under 500 bucks for a reasonable mileage runner.... These days? No clue.... Prices have gone up a bit... You can put your intake on whatever you get though, so, you don't have to do that whole job again....

What year is your truck? If it's 95 or older, and you decide to go with the larger engine, you'll need the PCM from the donor as well. (just needs to be the correct engine size/trans combo, no programming required) If it's 96 or newer, you should be able to have your existing PCM flashed for the larger motor. Assuming, of course, you can find someone that still has the capability..... The dealer tool for it is long outdated, and a lot of dealers don't even have them any more.....

There as differences in engine balance over the years as well... getting the right engine/flexplate/torque converter combo is important......
uh I can get a 5.9l used on eBay for 800$ 😭 is that like legit?

Old Yesterday, 11:36 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts
Originally Posted by nathan3674
uh I can get a 5.9l used on eBay for 800$ 😭 is that like legit?
eBay is typically legit as long as the seller has a good feedback score. I typically look for a score of 98.5+ from a seller before I'll buy from them. eBay also has buyer protection in-place to help buyers not loose money from scammers/deadbeats (you can read up more about that policy on their website). You also have to consider shipping charges for a motor, which could be expensive if the seller isn't local to your area.

Check car-part.com as well. You should be able to find an engine there. car-part.com is typically inventory of Mom+Pop auto salvage yards and you should be able to find one in your local area. If you find an engine on there that peaks your interest, you should contact the seller by phone to double-check inventory.

Old Yesterday, 11:49 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Thanks for the tire size. It works out to be 31.6" tall and 10.4" wide. Based on 2600 RPM at 65 in overdrive, I suspect you have 4.10 gearing in your truck. You can verify the gear ratio by seeing if the metal tag is still bolted on the rear's inspection cover - if so, the gear ratio is stamped on the tag. You can also check under the hood to see if the build info sticker lists the gear ratio.

Old Today, 08:25 AM
nathan3674

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Thanks for the tire size. It works out to be 31.6" tall and 10.4" wide. Based on 2600 RPM at 65 in overdrive, I suspect you have 4.10 gearing in your truck. You can verify the gear ratio by seeing if the metal tag is still bolted on the rear's inspection cover - if so, the gear ratio is stamped on the tag. You can also check under the hood to see if the build info sticker lists the gear ratio.
it used to run less than 2k rpm and there’s a 3-4 shift code

Old Today, 08:26 AM
nathan3674

Depending upon where you are, you could also consider installing a good used replacement 5.2 magnum engine or upgrade to a 5.9 magnum engine for more power and torque. The 46RE transmission bolts up to either engine. Auto salvage yards have plenty of them. You can check car-part.com for availability and prices. If the truck is in decent shape (especially since the 46RE transmission has been rebuilt), it would certainly be cheaper than a new car payment these days...

As HeyYou asked, it would be helpful to know how tall your tires are and what gearing is in the rear of the truck...
there’s a pretty big junkyard about 25-30 miles from me I’m gonna call them today and ask if they have any 5.9l because I would like to put a 5.9

Old Today, 08:31 AM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker
Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts

For what its worth I always felt the 5.2 was a snappier motor than the 5.9.

If you have the mechanical drive and space. These trucks can be bought left n right for 1000-1500 bucks with bad motors, bad trannies, bad something ect. You could find one with what you need and sell the left overs so the project cost you next to nothing in the long run. Might even profit. Using the valuable parts like a running engine and a good PCM eats into the profit margin alot though. Just helps pay for the project over all.

Quick Reply: Uhhh just read the description there’s so many things wrong