2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Uhhh just read the description there’s so many things wrong

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:46 AM
nathan3674
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Uhhh just read the description there’s so many things wrong

I’ll make a list because oh my lord, 1. When turning off cruise control while going 65 and engine starts slowing down, lots of blue smoke out the exhaust. 2. At 65 mph it’s running 2600 rpm 3. When in park and revved lots of white, blue, and black it’s varies from time to time and I have a video of it, and also a lot of black crap came out this time so I have a picture of that as well the picture won’t upload but it can be seen on the video it is a 1997 dodge 1500 5.2l

Attached Thumbnails -img_7869.jpeg  
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_7870.mov (14.32 MB, 6 views)
Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,359 Likes on 3,101 Posts

1. Valve seals are likely toast. Either that or rings....

2. What size tires, and what gears?

3. Could be any number of things, think I would start with testing the coolant for combustion gases. You can get a kit for that at your local auto parts store.

Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM
nathan3674

Originally Posted by HeyYou
1. Valve seals are likely toast. Either that or rings....

2. What size tires, and what gears?

3. Could be any number of things, think I would start with testing the coolant for combustion gases. You can get a kit for that at your local auto parts store.
1. Damn 2. It’s an automatic 46 re and tires shouldn’t be affecting it 3. I honestly don’t want to get into it I just replaced the plenum and I’m kinda pissed at it right now I’ve been looking for a new vehicle for a while I know it’s worn out but the transmission only has like 30k miles on it

Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker
Received 63 Likes on 62 Posts

1: I agree, all situations with the smoke are in conditions of high manifold vacuum, I would do a compression/leak down test to see if you're dealing with one or multiple cylinder failures. Rings/cylinder walls, valve guides, plenum.
2: Tires 200% effect engine RPM at a given speed, as much as gears or anything else. Unless this change just suddenly happened then I would look at trans. I agree 2600 is really high and multiple calculations ive done show even with 4.10 gears you have to have about 26" tires to make 2600 rpm in overdrive. If the truck isn't going into over drive 2600 is about spot on for 4.10s with 33s. You can easily switch the O/D switch and test the overdrive theory.
3: Im guessing is a result of #1. Oil sludge building up in the tailpipe, possibly coolant. Surprised the cats aren't all gummed up at this point if they're still present.

Old Yesterday, 08:53 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Depending upon where you are, you could also consider installing a good used replacement 5.2 magnum engine or upgrade to a 5.9 magnum engine for more power and torque. The 46RE transmission bolts up to either engine. Auto salvage yards have plenty of them. You can check car-part.com for availability and prices. If the truck is in decent shape (especially since the 46RE transmission has been rebuilt), it would certainly be cheaper than a new car payment these days...

As HeyYou asked, it would be helpful to know how tall your tires are and what gearing is in the rear of the truck...

Old Yesterday, 09:31 PM
nathan3674

Originally Posted by dodgetruck2
1: I agree, all situations with the smoke are in conditions of high manifold vacuum, I would do a compression/leak down test to see if you're dealing with one or multiple cylinder failures. Rings/cylinder walls, valve guides, plenum.
2: Tires 200% effect engine RPM at a given speed, as much as gears or anything else. Unless this change just suddenly happened then I would look at trans. I agree 2600 is really high and multiple calculations ive done show even with 4.10 gears you have to have about 26" tires to make 2600 rpm in overdrive. If the truck isn't going into over drive 2600 is about spot on for 4.10s with 33s. You can easily switch the O/D switch and test the overdrive theory.
3: Im guessing is a result of #1. Oil sludge building up in the tailpipe, possibly coolant. Surprised the cats aren't all gummed up at this point if they're still present.
1 I just replaced the plenum in January and I forgot to mention in 20 miles it will burn from the full mark on the dipstick down to the add mark which is insane 2. I will get a picture of the size 3. It does have the cats soooo yeah

Old Yesterday, 09:31 PM
nathan3674

Originally Posted by AtomicDog
Depending upon where you are, you could also consider installing a good used replacement 5.2 magnum engine or upgrade to a 5.9 magnum engine for more power and torque. The 46RE transmission bolts up to either engine. Auto salvage yards have plenty of them. You can check car-part.com for availability and prices. If the truck is in decent shape (especially since the 46RE transmission has been rebuilt), it would certainly be cheaper than a new car payment these days...

As HeyYou asked, it would be helpful to know how tall your tires are and what gearing is in the rear of the truck...
how much would a 5.9 normally cost on average

Old Yesterday, 09:32 PM
nathan3674

Originally Posted by AtomicDog

Originally Posted by nathan3674
how much would a 5.9 normally cost on average
I should also mention it has 218k miles

Old Yesterday, 09:33 PM
nathan3674

just another picture

Old Yesterday, 09:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,359 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Originally Posted by nathan3674
I should also mention it has 218k miles
I think that's just tired motor..... Not sure about pricing for motors any more though..... I used to be able to find them every day for under 500 bucks for a reasonable mileage runner.... These days? No clue.... Prices have gone up a bit... You can put your intake on whatever you get though, so, you don't have to do that whole job again....

What year is your truck? If it's 95 or older, and you decide to go with the larger engine, you'll need the PCM from the donor as well. (just needs to be the correct engine size/trans combo, no programming required) If it's 96 or newer, you should be able to have your existing PCM flashed for the larger motor. Assuming, of course, you can find someone that still has the capability..... The dealer tool for it is long outdated, and a lot of dealers don't even have them any more.....

There as differences in engine balance over the years as well... getting the right engine/flexplate/torque converter combo is important......

Quick Reply: Uhhh just read the description there’s so many things wrong