2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

fuel-e85

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 10:55 AM
redram1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel-e85

does anyone know will a 2001 ram run on e85 gasoline

Old 01-10-2006, 12:28 PM
Koldkut
Rookie
Default RE: fuel-e85

what's e-85?

Old 01-10-2006, 12:32 PM
Koldkut
Rookie

little research done and it seems that dodge is starting to make flex fuel trucks, but thats all starting in 2006........

Old 01-10-2006, 12:44 PM
jasonwyo
Veteran

E85 is a clean burning fuel that is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline. Ethanol is produced mainly from corn and I've only seen it sold in Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, and South Dakota. The state government also subsidizes E85 to keep the prices low to help farming which is a huge part of these states economies. I was in Mitchell SD, and 87 Octane was selling for $2.25/gal and E85 was $1.47/gal the week after Christmas.

If your vehicle is not a flex-fuel vehicle which no Dodges currently are, don't use it. That much ethanol will destroy rubber hoses and seals in your fuel system. Eventually it will clog your injectors or worse. Not to mention, you get horrible fuel mileage off any fuel that has even a little ethanol added into it.

Old 01-10-2006, 12:44 PM
UTRok
Old 01-10-2006, 01:48 PM
MGDMike
Champion

ORIGINAL: jasonwyo

E85 is a clean burning fuel that is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline. Ethanol is produced mainly from corn and I've only seen it sold in Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska, and South Dakota. The state government also subsidizes E85 to keep the prices low to help farming which is a huge part of these states economies. I was in Mitchell SD, and 87 Octane was selling for $2.25/gal and E85 was $1.47/gal the week after Christmas.

If your vehicle is not a flex-fuel vehicle which no Dodges currently are, don't use it. That much ethanol will destroy rubber hoses and seals in your fuel system. Eventually it will clog your injectors or worse. Not to mention, you get horrible fuel mileage off any fuel that has even a little ethanol added into it.
North Dakota as well..the only reason I know that is because thats my home state

Old 01-10-2006, 04:49 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

E85 is sold in SEVERAL states across the nation. We have a station here in WI. It only works in FFV vehicles though, as pointed out. However, there ARE some FFV dodges out there. They built FFV Intrepids for many years.

Old 04-21-2006, 02:48 PM
colblaster

I think the myth that E85 destroys a standard fuel system, is just that a myth.

My research so far indicates that you can reprogram a standard fuel injected motor to run on E85 ( or even 100% ethanol).

This is just research at this point, but it seems that big oil and big auto ( in cahoots) started this story to prevent folks from brewing their own ethanol and giving the finger to the oil companies.

I don't know all this for sure. but my research has been at the following places

http://www.beutilityfree.com/still_h...tek_homep.html - a converter to allow your fuel injected car to run on ethanol
http://www.ethanolstill.com/making-your-own-E-85.html - directions on how to make your own Ethanol
http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com/id26.html - some more details , specifically on any problems that may be encountered in regards to converting fuel system over.
http://www.thefuelman.com/flexfaq.html - a very straight forward description about conversion

So, I am thinking that the conversion is possible, and with gas approaching 4 a gallon, it may be advantageous.

Definitely need to do more research.

Old 04-21-2006, 04:13 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

im not sure about gassers but my next truck is gonna be a CTD and im gonna do that biofuel thing... since ive already asked 3 resteraunts that i know the managers at and they are actually gonna pay ME money to take THEIR grease

im really shocked that there isnt more of a push for E85,,, since Bush is doing that whole energy bill campaign

Brazil has been running FULL E85 only vehicles for the past 10 years and actually have a complete 0% dependence on foregn oil,,

everyone is worried about doing hydrogen and electric cars when that type of technology is FAR FAR away from being practicle and economical... when they need to start doing me E85 to buy more time for the whole hydrogen and electric theorys.

E85 is gonna be the new way i beleive...all the manufacteres need to stop being stupid and start producing FFV vehicles and conversion kits for older models

or maybe i should start a company that sells conversion kits for older model vehicles! i know id buy one and convert the ram to a FFV,, all steel feul lines, different gas tank and different injectors, and i would assume the computer would need some tweekin!

Old 04-21-2006, 05:01 PM
Chopper1
All Star

Does this mean we can build stills in our sheds and start running moonshine again??????