2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

01 help with crank sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2024, 02:39 PM
Docbar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 help with crank sensor

I have a 01 5.2 manual I bought new. It takes a 56027871 crank sensor. I have looked all over the internet but no one seems to have a Mopar. The standard ignition I put in it a week or two ago runs but rough idles when it gets warm. Do any of you know another brand that might work aftermarket

Old 09-18-2024, 03:12 PM
Los_Control
Professional
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I wonder if the cam sensor could be bad? .... What little I know about these newfangled electronics ..... The crank sensor takes care of timing, the cam sensor does the fine tuning.

If a crank sensor on my older 1993 goes bad, the engine will not run.
If the cam sensor goes bad, the engine will run but be missing the fine tuning part of it's job.
Are you showing any codes?

For what my opinion is worth, Standard brand is made in Mexico .... considering the quality of parts coming from China ???
Mexico has been building a lot of our cars for years .... I have a older truck with a points ignition, I specifically shop on line and order Standard points.
The rub block on modern offshore points is made of poor quality material and wears very quickly.
Standard uses better quality materials and they last longer.
Thats my opinion, worth what you paid for it .... I think Standard is one of the better options we have.

Old 09-18-2024, 04:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,380 Likes on 3,120 Posts

PCM uses cam sensor to start the motor, after that, it doesn't care. You can unplug it, and the engine will continue to run just fine.

Rough idle could be a number of things, vacuum leak, worn ignition parts, non-standard spark plugs, etc. The list is long and distinguished. And of course, the crank sensor plays a role there as well.

AM auto parts sells one, doesn't say who makes it, but, 10 year warranty.......

The following users liked this post:
Los_Control (09-18-2024)
Old 09-18-2024, 04:13 PM
Docbar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This happened 10 years ago probably, and I put a factory crank sensor in it and fixed it. Problem is now no one carries the mopar sensors for the manuals. They make a dozen different aftermarket brands but I hate to just start buying them till I find one that works. The trucked failed to crank no spark, and I put the standard in it fired right up, runs fine over 1500rpm just idles rough when engine warms up.

Old 09-18-2024, 09:21 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,380 Likes on 3,120 Posts

I would suggest the Delphi sensor if you can't find an OEM.... They are generally pretty good. Rock Auto sells 'em.

Old 09-20-2024, 02:47 PM
adukart
Record Breaker
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I went through this on a 99 durango. Turned out it had both a bad ignition coil and crank sensor. Coil caused low power, crank sensor caused limited rpm.

Quick Reply: 01 help with crank sensor