2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Replacing heater/evaporator cores access ?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 01:36 PM
tobnpr
|
Rookie
Default Replacing heater/evaporator cores access ?

Like most, my 00 Ram 2500 has no factory horizontal dash cover anymore, just an "overlay" where the **** plastic used to be after it disintegrated many years ago.

I know SOP for this is to drop the steering wheel and the entire dash for access. Wishful thinking probably, but with no dash cover above after I remove the overlay would there be sufficient access to do this job?

If I'm still going to need to drop it all, I'm sure there a gazillion bolts/screws and no idea where they are. Any help with a link to a tutorial or layout showing where all the fasteners are would be appreciated.

Old Yesterday | 04:12 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

There is a pretty good video on YouTube done by LMC Truck that shows the complete removal of the dash (he takes the complete dash out of the truck) and re-installs it with the new dash top - the video can be seen here -

I have to do this job of replacing the dash and everything in the HVAC box to complete the restoration of the interior of my truck now that the outdoor temperatures are cooler here. From what I've seen and experienced, it's best to remove the complete dash unit from the truck to give you full access to the HVAC box. I purchased an all-aluminum heater core from 1A Auto, as they were the only place I could find a OE style heater core that didn't have the swivel tubes that look like leaks waiting to happen. Installing this type of OE style heater core really requires removal of the dash and HVAC box to keep the frustration to a minimum. My lower dash was disintegrating, so I pulled a good used dash assembly from a donor truck and the removal was pretty quick and relatively easy.

Old Yesterday | 05:40 PM
tobnpr
|
Rookie

Thanks, quite a project for complete replacement.
I like the idea of the solid tubes, but don't like the idea of removing the entire dash assembly from the truck which seems to be the requirement if using that style.
I, too am timing it with the cooler weather now. I've had no heat for years (not a huge deal in central FL), but my ac evap went out a few weeks ago (can't complain as I got 25 years out of it lol) but no ac IS a big deal. It's a work truck so I've only got a weekend to get it done, I'm sure it's not a big deal for those who have done it but I'm sure it'll take me every bit of two days.

Edit
Found this thread, looks like I need to remove the box in order to replace both anyway so may as well go with solid tubes.
Jeezus this looks like an ordeal...
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ator-core.html

Last edited by tobnpr; Yesterday at 05:56 PM.
Old Yesterday | 05:59 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion

What i did is got a complete hvac unit out of a junk yard. Rebuilt that until i was ready to do the swap. Less down time if it's needed every day.

Old Yesterday | 06:16 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Originally Posted by Moparite
What i did is got a complete hvac unit out of a junk yard. Rebuilt that until i was ready to do the swap. Less down time if it's needed every day.
Yup, that's exactly what I did. I pulled the HVAC box out of the donor truck I got the dash assembly out of. Plan to swap out the heater core, A/C evaporator and blend doors+seals, then pull the dash in my truck and replace everything with new or donor truck parts.

Old Yesterday | 06:20 PM
AtomicDog
Champion
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by tobnpr
Thanks, quite a project for complete replacement.
I like the idea of the solid tubes, but don't like the idea of removing the entire dash assembly from the truck which seems to be the requirement if using that style.
I, too am timing it with the cooler weather now. I've had no heat for years (not a huge deal in central FL), but my ac evap went out a few weeks ago (can't complain as I got 25 years out of it lol) but no ac IS a big deal. It's a work truck so I've only got a weekend to get it done, I'm sure it's not a big deal for those who have done it but I'm sure it'll take me every bit of two days.

Edit
Found this thread, looks like I need to remove the box in order to replace both anyway so may as well go with solid tubes.
Jeezus this looks like an ordeal...
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ator-core.html
Pulling out the dash assembly isn't really too bad. The hardest part for me was dealing with the air bag harness/module on the transmission tunnel. I had the dash out of the truck in about an hour and a half with lifting the dash out of the truck assistance from the donor truck's owner.. I did have every tool with me that I might have needed (along with battery powered impact and driver) and that certainly made the job easier..

Old Yesterday | 07:56 PM
tobnpr
|
Rookie

This one seems quick and dirty with minimal hackery, think I'll use it as a guide.

I'll need to get over my fear of getting this all back together and finding out there's a blend door problem etc. No going back...

The following users liked this post:
Spillage (Yesterday)

Quick Reply: Replacing heater/evaporator cores access ?