2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Getting my butt kicked

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2024 | 04:03 PM
T Bailey
|
Default Getting my butt kicked

Hello all, I am new to this forum. I have been working on a 1996 Ram, that was previously stationary for 10 years. I am seriously getting killed by this truck. I replaced all fluids, even drained gas and flushed tank and refilled with fresh gas. Truck would crank but not start. I went ahead and replaced the coil, distributor cap, crank and Cam position sensors, fuel injectors as well cleaned all grounds and terminals, and still just cranks. I checked to see if i was getting spark from the coil, but nothing. all connectors look good and cleaned with contact fluid, but still nothing I did notice the battery died real fast, I was thinking it could be the engine wiring harness, or a short in it keeping it from starting. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 10-25-2024 | 06:25 PM
AtomicDog
Champion

Did you check for resistance on the coil wire? I ask, as it could possibly be bad.

Last edited by AtomicDog; 10-25-2024 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-25-2024 | 06:29 PM
T Bailey
|

You know, I did not. I am heading back in the morning to check it and the ASD relay which I replaced. Thanks for guidance

Old 10-25-2024 | 07:00 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Make sure you get power to the coil, and injectors, bear in mind, you will only see power there for about three seconds, unless the PCM sees the engine turning. Which is the next test.... Test light should come on at initial key on, go off after a couple seconds, then come back on when you crank the engine.

Old 10-26-2024 | 08:29 AM
dodgetruck2
Record Breaker

Mice are you enemy. I recently attempted to revive a field abandoned ram. Mice had just taken it over to much. I found the coil harness chewed of so repaired, cam sensor harness was chewed off so repaired. Did get it to fire after that but still just wasn't right.

Wouldn't hurt to scan for codes, might give you some guidance also

Old 10-26-2024 | 10:28 AM
ol' grouch
Champion

Originally Posted by T Bailey
Hello all, I am new to this forum. I have been working on a 1996 Ram, that was previously stationary for 10 years. I am seriously getting killed by this truck. I replaced all fluids, even drained gas and flushed tank and refilled with fresh gas. Truck would crank but not start. I went ahead and replaced the coil, distributor cap, crank and Cam position sensors, fuel injectors as well cleaned all grounds and terminals, and still just cranks. I checked to see if i was getting spark from the coil, but nothing. all connectors look good and cleaned with contact fluid, but still nothing I did notice the battery died real fast, I was thinking it could be the engine wiring harness, or a short in it keeping it from starting. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Do you know why it was parked? That might be why it won't start. I'd check the computer for codes. The key dance will show you the codes but so will a code reader. Some of the more deluxe versions will do real time scanning.

Have you shot a squirt of starting fluid into the intake? If it kicks then stalls, you have a fuel problem. If not, you definitely have n electrical issue. Personally after trying a shot of fuel, I'd hit it with a scanner. It's cheaper and faster than firing parts at it. After all, you might just find a blown fuse, or one robbed for something else.

Quick Reply: Getting my butt kicked