2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 08:51 PM
Rammer
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration

Hey everyone. I have a question about a vibration I've been experiencing. I have a 99 Ram 1500 4x4. When I get going about 80-100 kph, and am light on the gas (just cruising) and I go to step on it to give it a little more (without having the transmission drop a gear). I usually get a vibration and I'm not sure where it's coming from. I had the tranny looked at today (only 35000 km's old) and he said he was pretty sure it was fine. The vibration will stop if I let off the gas and if I step into it more to make it down shift. That's probably the best I can describe it.

Anyone experienceed anything like this before? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks alot,

Mike

Old 01-12-2006, 12:56 AM
HuntinHanson
Champion
Default RE: Vibration

how bad is the vibration? is it soft but noticeable or is it horrible?

Old 01-12-2006, 01:48 AM
Dodge4x4810
Veteran

i think that i am experiencing the same thing, mine is around 35-40 moh, but after or before that there is no vibration. It is a slight vibration when i give it a little gas and stops when i let off. I'm guessing cause it does not drop a gear, it is just the front drive shaft or combo of both at such low rpm's. I do not think it is something to worry about, mine has been like that ever since i bought it.

Old 01-12-2006, 01:55 AM
Koldkut
Rookie

if it is only there when you are on the gas, look at the drivetrain, to include u-joints. Doesn't sound like that would be the problem in this case....

Old 01-12-2006, 02:08 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

ive had that problem ever since i had the truck..and was in twice for it when the warrenty was still good... techy said no biggy..tranny was fine... i get my vib when im cruising around 40-50 and i chunk the gas a little right before kickdown... itll vib like the assend is loose ... almost as if the flywheel all of a sudden had a 40 pound weight welded onto one edge of it.. then it goes away..

Old 01-12-2006, 02:30 AM
HuntinHanson
Champion

I was experiencing the same problem you guys are describing. My problem was a spark plug wire that was starting to go bad. Frustrated from checking everything i changed out the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor and my problem was fixed. So i took a close look at the wires and found a slight crack in one. Problem hasn't occured since.

Old 01-12-2006, 07:59 PM
Rammer
Rookie

I know it's not something that is normal that's for sure. It's quite noticible and not just a faint vibration. The tranny guy that looked at it the other day actually mentioned to check my wires and plugs because it is at quite low RPM when it's doing this. I think lower than normal. I'll check it out and let you guys know what I find. Thanks for the replies.

Mike

Also getting my rear end checked out tomorrow too ..... on the truck that is

Old 01-12-2006, 10:47 PM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like either the overdrive or torque converter clutch solenoids may have a problem.

Check out this TSB at Dave Fritz's excellent website:

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1998/18-49-98.htm

especially the bit that says:

# Locate a road that fairly smooth and is safe to drive at a speed in which the customer indicates that surge/vibration occurs. Note when the surge/vibration occurs. Things to be aware of include:

* What speed(s) does the surge/vibration occur?
* Does the surge/vibration occur in all gear ranges?
* Does the surge/vibration occur when the torque converter clutch engages?
* NOTE: Special tool OT-38793 "Electronic Vibration Analyzer Kit (EVA)" can be used to help pinpoint surge/vibration issues. The tool provides the frequency and amplitude of the vibration.

Old 01-12-2006, 11:11 PM
Rammer
Rookie

I have tried driving at the vibration speed with the overdrive turned off and I still have that problem. Does the torque converter kick in when o/d is turned off?

Old 01-27-2006, 12:36 AM
Rammer
Rookie

Had the codes read today and a transmission code came up "TCC". Anybody have an idea what that means? Torque converter clutch?
Out of curiosity, does anyone know how to flash the codes on the dash?? Or how they're read manually?

Quick Reply: Vibration