2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Performance Ideas? Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 01:16 AM
dodge_boy31807
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Performance Ideas? Help Please

Is the K&N CAI FIPK a cold air intake? I know those do cost a little more than I want to spend but what all does it do and how much horsepower will I get out of it? And the 180 degree termostat, why would that be a performace mod? Im pretty stupid when it comes to these things but I have to learn some how. Most of what I know comes from DF.

Old 01-17-2006, 02:19 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

ORIGINAL: dodge_boy31807

Is the K&N CAI FIPK a cold air intake? I know those do cost a little more than I want to spend but what all does it do and how much horsepower will I get out of it? And the 180 degree termostat, why would that be a performace mod? Im pretty stupid when it comes to these things but I have to learn some how. Most of what I know comes from DF.

the 180 t-stat will lower your head temp which will help a little with hp. lower intake air temps = hp

Old 01-17-2006, 02:27 PM
dodge_boy31807
Professional

Well the K&n CAI FIPK what exactly is it? I haven't seen one like that before and wouldn't mind having one of those on my truck. I read that they add about 12 hp to your truck. But what do they cost and what are they?

Old 01-17-2006, 02:43 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

it is an air intake kit which re-locates the air filter to an area that is blocked off from the engine compartment heat. the hotter the air intake, the less HP the motor will have. they run around $300 bux if I recall correctly. they are definately worth it.

Old 01-17-2006, 07:17 PM
Ram_Sport
Record Breaker

hmm.. i should get that sticker, gimme what 50-75hp

Old 01-18-2006, 12:14 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont mean to steal the thread but could someone with a CAI take a pic of it and post it? i belive it goes on the pass wheelwell and i have some electrical stufff an aux batt and outherthings i have mounted there and was wondering how much id half to move to put it in, thanks

Old 01-18-2006, 12:56 AM
Dodgeramman
Record Breaker

zeekxxx's ram with K&N. Take a look at zeek's K&N install, he has pics for each phase of the installation.

Old 01-18-2006, 02:03 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How hard is the 180tstat to install? Any negative effects? I ordered a K&N drop in filter as I don't want to pay the price for the CAI and was going to do the air hat mod but the guy at the auto parts store says he wouldn't do it with FI as it can be finicky and he wouldn't risk it to mess something up and this guy usually knows what he is talking about but I'm thinking of trying it anyway as I want more power and people on Pavementsucks.com seem to like it.

I have a K&N CAI on my Accord and like it a lot.

Old 01-18-2006, 11:20 AM
dodge_boy31807
Professional

I have installed quite a few thermostats in plenty of trucks from fords to Dodges. It really is a simple process. When I did it i flushed the ratiorator, which just drain the ratiorator and then find where the thermostat is, take out a few bolts and then pull the old one out, put the new one in, have a gasket because you will need a new one, put the bolts back in and reconnect the hoses and fill ratiorator back up with coolant. Is simple but get someone elses opinion, I thinks it is very easy to do.

Old 01-18-2006, 11:53 AM
zeekxxx
Captain

ORIGINAL: Dodgeramman

zeekxxx's ram with K&N. Take a look at zeek's K&N install, he has pics for each phase of the installation.
Aw man Im impressed. Someone used my pics to answer a question. sweet

I only take all those pictures because Im sick of the candy *** generic crap I always find when I try to buy something. What website would tell you that the product you are looking at sucks and doesnt work. We need more WORKING-MANS-WEBSITES. So from the point of owning one I can say that the K&N CAI does not suck. I noticed more passing power and better throttle response. It even comes with the added bonus of howling when I slam my foot to the floor. I built a truck that gets mad right along with me when I road rage. The flow master roars and the K&N intake howls with vengence when I get feel the need to act like im 12 again. I had my friend drive my ram while I stood on the sidewalk and slam his foot to the floor in 2nd gear as he passed. I got to say... even though I knew the truck was not going to hit me I took about 3 steps backwards to safty. The flowmaster rattles your intestines with its deep bellow under full load. Anyway I'd look on ebay for the kit. I saved about 70 bucks there. Tell us how you like it if you do buy..

Quick Reply: Performance Ideas? Help Please