2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Misfire Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 03:56 PM
pirranah
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Misfire Problem

my truck was the same way. mine was a #8 misfire, went through all the plugs, wires, etc. mine ended up being the injector like the others said. crap builds up in the back of the fuel rail and causes the back ones to clog up usually. i replaced the injector and cleaned out the rail and it runs like a new truck now since everythings replaced now. now i run some cleaner through it every couple of fillups.

Old 01-19-2006, 11:43 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Misfire Problem

ORIGINAL: pirranah

my truck was the same way. mine was a #8 misfire, went through all the plugs, wires, etc. mine ended up being the injector like the others said. crap builds up in the back of the fuel rail and causes the back ones to clog up usually. i replaced the injector and cleaned out the rail and it runs like a new truck now since everythings replaced now. now i run some cleaner through it every couple of fillups.
Yeah, more and more that's what it's sounding like.

ORIGINAL: steve00ram360

do what someone else suggested by moving the 2 injectors to other locations. I suggest swapping them with 3 & 4.

you mentioned putting new plugs cap & rotor in, have you pulled the plugs since then? yank 5 & 6 and see if they are gas fouled, if not, put them back in and put a timing light on the wires and verify spark. then verify (using a screwdriver or mechanics stethescope) that the injector is actuating. you should be able to hear it pretty easy with the scope.

the one thing that stand out in this thread is the fact that you had the tranny worked on, then a miss-fire after that. it is possible that the flex plate got hammered enough on the tranny install to cause the CPS to loose the signal on those 2 cylinders. they are back to back on the firing order which would mean that the section on the flex plate would cover both cylinders are right next to each other.

I read a long time ago a thread where a guy had a problem, cant remember the details unfortunately, and the problem turned out to be the flex plate. it got hammared in the tranny install and caused some problem with the motor.

HTH and let us know what you find.
All I had done was a transmission flush, but thanks for the insight.

Quick Reply: Misfire Problem