2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Clearance Lamps...Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 06:07 PM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clearance Lamps...Need Advice

I looked at some clearance lamps for the roof of my cab for my 98' Ram the other day. (came with everything needed to install) Has anyone installed them on their dodge before, or know what would be a good way to go about doing it? The guy at the auto parts store tried explaining it to me and i think i walked out of that store dummer.

Old 01-16-2006, 08:46 PM
rogerdoger
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Clearance Lamps...Need Advice

i have also looked at a set, for my 98 ram.... just a little scared about drilling holes in the roof, and puling the headliner apart

Old 01-16-2006, 10:07 PM
ddog737374
Professional

I put mine on about 4 weeks ago and 1st off you have to be ready to drill about 15 holes on your roof. (i was scared but it looks so much better with them on it. You will have 3 holes for each light 2 to hold it done but 1 of the 2 acts as a ground as well as holding it down. and the other hole to run your wire down. just run the single wire to your lights or hook it up to a switch. i got my lights at pep boys for like 26 bucks you can get some really good ones for like 80 but i just went with the cheep ones. the only thing with the cheep one the ligh bulbs are crap so you might have some good ones.

Old 01-17-2006, 12:12 AM
rogerdoger
Professional

obviously you had to remove the headliner right.. is that easy?? how is it held up there? with clips?

im just worried that once i get it down, and go to put it back up, it will always sag or something...

did you splice those lights into your running lights??? or do u have them running off a switch?

Old 01-17-2006, 02:01 AM
ddog737374
Professional

the headliner is thick it wont sag its only held up by your overhead light and the side trim by your windows so a screwdriver and the star shaped screewdriver will remove them. Mine are hooked up to a switch but u can hook them up to your lights if you want.

Old 01-17-2006, 10:06 AM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran

I was just working on my headliner last week (had to remove the pillar covering to install the antenna for my new Remote Starter). I noticed several wires going up the pillar and to the CHMSL and the Cargo Lights. I believe one of these wires may also be for the clearance lamp option. Just something to look at and it might make installation easier for you.

Old 01-17-2006, 11:57 AM
highclassredneck

i got clearance lights done on my 1500...i just took it to a shop only charged me 220 bills and that was including the lights...

Old 01-18-2006, 01:21 AM
4DrMopar
Captain

OK, I just did it, with a factory Dodge kit (get the dodge kit,the template alone is worth it).
My kit came with the lights, a harness and template to tape to the roof. First off. When you drillyoru roof, use a UNI-BIT as they donnt distort the hole liek a regular drill can when it grabs. trust me. Also, my lights grounded INSIDE the truck on the harness. My harness came witha PLUG that fits a factory opening under the dash. Yeah, sweet eh! They even GAVE me the screw to use to ground it with. Whatever you do, DROP the headliner. Its worth it. The console is 2 phillips screws, 4 more in each visor total, undo your "oh ****" handle and pull both "A"pillar panels loose if nto out completely. Obviously, remove teh top part of the weatherstrip that goes all the way around the door opneing that covers the pinchwelds. Pop your lenses off your dome light, then pop it free (no screws) and ummm, maybe a coat hanger hook if yours still has it. Drop yer headliner. You most likly WILL drill holes in it. Trust me, I happen to used ot work at an upholstery shop,so i redid mine in about 15 minutes...Its a gravy job, if you DO decide ot do it yerself, do yerself a favor also.. tape a old sheet from yer bed,to the top of yer windheild (after you line up the template) and taoe it al teh way across. This willcatch the metal shavings from drilling, that WILL rust and pit yer paint and scratch yer window...no,that DIDNT happen to mine, buts a precaution we always took doing convertible tops and fake tops..
IF you need help on it, PM me...

Old 01-18-2006, 01:27 AM
rogerdoger
Professional

how much did the dodge kit cost ya?

Old 01-18-2006, 01:29 AM
4DrMopar
Captain

I THINK they were like $90 retail, but I got them for abotu $75 I THINK its been a while.... I am listed as a vendor and have jobber accounts all over..... I know its more than some cheapy kits, but,is yoru truck leaking worth the risk??

Quick Reply: Clearance Lamps...Need Advice