2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Desicions Desicions

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 01:33 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Desicions Desicions

ORIGINAL: Viper32

Well my personal vehicle is a 97 Dodge Reg Cab 4x4, this truck had a salvage title when I bought it. It was a Game Wardens truck. I have today 177,522 miles on it. When I got it the reason it was totaled was the miles and I had to replace the front bumper, drivers side fender and grille (No frame damage at all). I bought the truck two years ago with 120,000 miles for 750.00. I guess the moral of the story is that just because it has a salvaged title is not always a bad thing. I have had zero problems except the normal intake gasket leak and replacing a track bar here soon. I have been doing auto body and mechanic work for twenty years and I cannot see how someone would come to the conclusion a rear end whine is because of water damage. The dodge rears are not bullet proof by no means, and its a fairly common thing for them to start whining sometimes. This can be caused by many things, but certainly could be water damage I guess but I seriously doubt it. I would have them change the rear gear fluid and addiditive and then see if it still has the same problem or sounds. Look for water damage by pulling carpet up and under the dash, you will see signs of it if thats the reason it was salavged about 90% of the time. Feel free to ask me any questions if you feel the need to do so......... Good luck with your choice. A good rule of thumb for the value of a salvage vehicle is get the KBB Value in Rough condition and subtract 10-20% from that.

Viper
A salvage vehicle with that kind of problem and potential issues for around 7k is not worth it. In your instance, it was well worth picking up the salvage vehicle. When you're talking around $500-3500 for a salvaged vehicle, then that's not a large expense. However, when you are talking $7-8000 for a salvaged vehicle with problems as opposed to a vehicle with a new tranny and wont be driven much....I'd take the higher miles vehicle.

That said, great information in your post and glad to see an informed opinion come in from the salvage side of the issue.

Old 01-17-2006, 01:56 AM
Viper32

I agree on the pricing issue totaly. Thats the reason I was trying to give him a good value to put on the truck. I think if he tries it can buy it really cheap. All the dealers in my area go by the values I just posted to get pricing. I surely was not suggesting he buy that truck but merely trying to show that if the price is right you can certainly pick up a great bargain. I am sorry if I cam across wrong I was wanting to offer another point of view.

Viper

Old 01-17-2006, 02:34 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: Viper32

I agree on the pricing issue totaly. Thats the reason I was trying to give him a good value to put on the truck. I think if he tries it can buy it really cheap. All the dealers in my area go by the values I just posted to get pricing. I surely was not suggesting he buy that truck but merely trying to show that if the price is right you can certainly pick up a great bargain. I am sorry if I cam across wrong I was wanting to offer another point of view.

Viper
No, you came across just right man. Your post was informative and a different view point on the same issue. I'm glad you posted. It's good stuff seriously. I only posted because I wasnt sure you had read the pricing he listed. But you are absolutely right, he should haggle with them over the price, see if it cant come down some. However, with the rear end whining, and possible other issues in that rear.....I'd still go for the 01....

Old 01-17-2006, 10:03 AM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran

I own a 98 and it kills me to say this, but I'd get the '01 as well. I love my rig and won't trade it in for just anything. Now, that 98 may have some problems in the rear end, but the deal killer for me on this is the salvage title. There are several ways it could be a salvage vehicle. (1) Vehicle was towed in and sold at lien. In order to re-register it, it may have been junked and a salvage title issued to avoid back due DMV registration penalties. (2) It may have been in a flood and whoever said the rear end whine might be caused by flooding is correct. (3) It may have been wrecked and you may not see the damage. (4) Any other reason that I can't think of right now.

But the final reason to not get a salvage vehicle: Many insurance companies will either NOT insure a salvage vehicle, or they charge MORE to insure one.

Just my 5 cents worth. (Inflation)

Old 01-17-2006, 02:02 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

Keep looking... you will be able to find a clean newer truck for a decent price. stay away from the salvaged trucks. you never know what has happend to it. Anything that has dings (like you mentioned) and scratches has most likely been beat 4x4ing and may need some additional work in the future that you cant see now... beyond what you would normally expect

2 things you need to know about... tranny's need a big aftermarket cooler (ditch the one in the radiator) and the plenum gasket will leak on you. the plenum is an easy fix if you can wrench... the tranny's need a beter buildup like from www.apsprecision.com.

Old 01-17-2006, 09:39 PM
jalapeenoz
Professional

I would say keep looking. I just picked up my 01 QC 2WD with 65K miles for $8,500. It is the base model with a 5 spd (5 spd =more fun and no auto tranny problems) and 5.2 engine. There are deals to be made out there especially this time of year when dealers are struggling to make sales and move inventory. Buying from a private party you could probably get an even better deal.

Old 01-17-2006, 10:16 PM
52b3b108
Veteran

I've been reading everyone's responses and I'm voting for the '01. I just bought a 2000 1500 SLT for 8900 with 60,000 miles on it.

Old 01-17-2006, 10:41 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

agreee... in both views.. between the 2 trucks you listed.. id suggest the higher miles one... if you can keep lookin though...its not hard to get the truck you really want...just takes patience....i rode a GSX-R 1K for a year as my primary vehicle before i found my truck..and i was lookin for well more then a year and a half... but when i found it ..i knew it was mine...its like a match made in heaven... when the old lady of the house has to compete with your truck for time and attention...then youll know you found the right one.... the truck i mean!

Old 01-18-2006, 03:36 PM
ImAudi4

Thanks for all your input, I think I am going to hang out for a bit and see if anything better comes along. The Montero I am using as my winter/hauler is still running so there is no rush.

Thanks again!

Old 01-18-2006, 04:13 PM
97Ram15004x4

I have a '97 1500 4x4 Ext Cab with 79000 miles I am selling for $6500 if anyone in the Indpls area is interested?

[IMG]local://upfiles/27986/D18E0933BAB94C6081A5245596AAC81E.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Desicions Desicions