2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Desicions Desicions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2006, 08:33 PM
ImAudi4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Desicions Desicions

Hey guys, I need some expert knowlege on choosing a truck.

I have narrowed it down to two different vehicles and am curious what you would do.. In short I am looking for an aux. vehicle for camping, light towing (aluminum fishing boats mostly), and occasional hauling for items around the house.

First vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad 4x4, 84000 miles, previous salvage title (don't know why but couldn't decern any repairs to the frame) When driving this truck I noticed an apparent hum from the rearend, loud enough for my girlfriend to notice it too. Wondering if this whine/hum is common or if there is something wrong, if so how much would I be looking at if it is the rear diff and not just a really loud wheel bearing or something. the price reflects the salvage title.

Second Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 quad sport 4x4, 131000 miles, many minor scratches and a couple minor dings, Tranny replaced at 118000 Miles drives fine no odd noises and everything feels tight. price is below book to offset the mileage.

Curious what your guys' thoughts are on these two. Both are in my price range and actually both are similar in price. I don't really want to spend much more than these since it will be an aux vehicle only.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Old 01-16-2006, 08:39 PM
Tani1500
Champion
Default RE: Desicions Desicions

my advise is dont get the 98. im going to guess and say maybe its been salvaged because it was in a flood. sounds like water got in the rear and messed up all the bearings and seals. or the gears counld be not set right and also cause that sound.

Old 01-16-2006, 08:46 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

I'd take the higher miles truck. Like Tani said, chances are that was a flood damaged vehicle. I'm also more inclined to take a Sport model over a base model anyhow. The higher miles is a downside, but since the price is offset and the tranny is new....I think you are getting a better deal.

Old 01-16-2006, 09:24 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the second one. The sport package looks nicer and you just don't know what you are getting with a salvaged vehicle. What type of prices are they asking for these trucks?

Old 01-16-2006, 09:34 PM
MGDMike
Champion

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

I'd take the higher miles truck. Like Tani said, chances are that was a flood damaged vehicle. I'm also more inclined to take a Sport model over a base model anyhow. The higher miles is a downside, but since the price is offset and the tranny is new....I think you are getting a better deal.
I agree word for word on DR's post. Are they auto, stick?

Old 01-16-2006, 09:44 PM
REDKNOB
Rookie

I concur, get the '01. When you decide to part with it the sale will be much easier because it is newer and the title is clear.

Old 01-16-2006, 10:19 PM
motodog1

run from both they get totaled for a reason. im a body tech and if your not your not going to find the damages.the other one has way to many miles to mess with keep lookin youl find something.

Old 01-16-2006, 11:35 PM
ImAudi4

Thanks for all the responses. I am leaning towards the 01 as well. Off_Road_Teacher they are both around 6 to 7 thousand, and if there was a chance I would be able to find one with lower miles and decent shape for the same amount I would jump on it but I have a feeling that will be a tall order to fill. They are also both autos.

Thanks Again,

Will let you know when I make a decision.

Old 01-17-2006, 12:37 AM
Racinfan83
All Star

Get the '01. these guys are right, stay away from salvage titles! That rear end noise is about $500 to $1k looking to get spent, not to mention the electrical problems you will run into if it was a flood truck. The high miles are not that big of a concern for your price, and for what you plan to do with it. I have a friend with a '01 with 130k+ on his and it runs like a dream. You know the tranny is good on it also, you don't know about the other truck. That is lots 'o loot to replace a tranny.

Old 01-17-2006, 01:20 AM
Viper32

Well my personal vehicle is a 97 Dodge Reg Cab 4x4, this truck had a salvage title when I bought it. It was a Game Wardens truck. I have today 177,522 miles on it. When I got it the reason it was totaled was the miles and I had to replace the front bumper, drivers side fender and grille (No frame damage at all). I bought the truck two years ago with 120,000 miles for 750.00. I guess the moral of the story is that just because it has a salvaged title is not always a bad thing. I have had zero problems except the normal intake gasket leak and replacing a track bar here soon. I have been doing auto body and mechanic work for twenty years and I cannot see how someone would come to the conclusion a rear end whine is because of water damage. The dodge rears are not bullet proof by no means, and its a fairly common thing for them to start whining sometimes. This can be caused by many things, but certainly could be water damage I guess but I seriously doubt it. I would have them change the rear gear fluid and addiditive and then see if it still has the same problem or sounds. Look for water damage by pulling carpet up and under the dash, you will see signs of it if thats the reason it was salavged about 90% of the time. Feel free to ask me any questions if you feel the need to do so......... Good luck with your choice. A good rule of thumb for the value of a salvage vehicle is get the KBB Value in Rough condition and subtract 10-20% from that.

Viper

Quick Reply: Desicions Desicions