2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

body lift vs suspension lift

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 03:00 AM
medstudent
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default body lift vs suspension lift

bear with me I am new to trucks, but what are the pros and cons and difference between a body lift and a suspension lift. I have the sport model which I was told has a 2' factory lift, I am interested in another inch and was wondering what 3' lift kits were out there? what are some good brands and should I go suspension or body? I mainly commute my truck, occasionaly pull the boat or the drag car and haul the occasional cargo but no crazy rock climbing or nothing like that. Last 2 questions, what all is included in a lift kit, will it replace my shocks all around? and could you install one in your garage in a day?
thanks

Old 01-17-2006, 11:37 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: body lift vs suspension lift

Sport model with a 2" lift? Sports don't have the 2" lift, but the Off Road Edition Rams do. And yes there can be Off Road Sports, so maybe thats what the person who told you that meant.

Many people don't like body lifts, but I have one. It tends to make alot of things more on a pain in the butt if you get one, like exhausts and stuff. See with the body lift you haev to raise the back bumber, and if you have duels you'll be raising your bumper but the exhaust will stay in the same spot becuase its mounted to the frame. Thus making it look kinda dumb. Also brushguards need to be modified to fit right. Pretty easy, I also did this.

I have heard good things about Skyjacker lifts, many will tell you they're good. As for the shocks and other parts it depends on what brand you get and what kit you get. Skyjacker makes a 3" lift for right around $400, but comes with no shocks. For a 3" lift I don;t think you have to replace your trac bar, but maybe you will since you already have the 2" factory blocks. Other will be able to help you with that. A droped pitman arm will also be needed.

All this is pretty easy and if you know how to wrench its totaly doable in your garage!

Quick Reply: body lift vs suspension lift