2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 Ram Will not stay running.......

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 12:44 AM
Viper32
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Ram Will not stay running.......

Well today I go to start the truck and it just turns over. So I hold the gas down some and she starts right up. As long as I give it gas she will run but if I let off the gas it stalls. Any suggestions what to look for?

Mark

Old 01-20-2006, 12:47 AM
HuntinHanson
Champion
Default RE: 97 Ram Will not stay running.......

I was experiencing the same problem with my 97 ram. My idler air box was dirty and just needed to be cleaned. any time i would let the rpms below 1000 it would kill. Once i cleaned it it ran great again.

Old 01-20-2006, 12:49 AM
Viper32

ORIGINAL: HansonHVAC

I was experiencing the same problem with my 97 ram. My idler air box was dirty and just needed to be cleaned. any time i would let the rpms below 1000 it would kill. Once i cleaned it it ran great again.
Idler air box? I am not sure what you mean by this? Can you elaborate were its located?

Thanks, Mark

Old 01-20-2006, 04:39 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

He means IAC. Idle Air Control. To clean it take off your throttle body, its only held on by 4 bolts. (You will need a new gasket for this most likly.) You also have to disconnect the throttle, cruise control, and trans kickdown cable from the TB. Once you get it off the IAC is located in the back. BTW make sure to disconnect all the wires before you rip it off Anyways take all 3 things off of the TB. The back is the IAC, the right is the TP Sensor, and the front is the MAP sensor. Take them all off and hose the TB down with carb/TB cleaner. Get it good and clean. Grime loves to hide in the back hole where the IAC motor goes. Get it REAL clean. Also wipe down the IAC itself, getting the gunk off the end. Put it back together and you'll be good to go.

Old 01-20-2006, 08:55 PM
HuntinHanson
Champion

Yeah sorry about that i did mean the iac dont know why i wrote box, thanks for the catch socha.

Quick Reply: 97 Ram Will not stay running.......