2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Acceleration w/ 5.9L

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 07:31 PM
ripto
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Acceleration w/ 5.9L

Alright I finally found out about my gears, I found it on the original sales slip from 98. It says they are 3.55. So I would be able to get a little better acceleration if I had smaller tires then? Right now I have the LT285/75R16, are they 31 or 33?

Old 01-28-2006, 08:35 PM
jdcovert
Veteran

ORIGINAL: ripto

Alright I finally found out about my gears, I found it on the original sales slip from 98. It says they are 3.55. So I would be able to get a little better acceleration if I had smaller tires then? Right now I have the LT285/75R16, are they 31 or 33?
A 285/75R16 tire is a little bit uner 33"

Old 01-29-2006, 04:25 AM
DGarmon

Not trying to steal the tread, but I have 285\75\16 33" tires, which I have stock 3.55 gears, if I would buy 4.10 Gears for my truck is it hard to changed them out, or would I have to get a auto shop to change them? And if so, do you what type of shop does Gear work and how much $$ does it normally run. What is the biggest Advantage I would get out of changing the out.

Thanks,

DMan

Old 01-30-2006, 04:16 AM
kossuth
Professional

ORIGINAL: DGarmon

Not trying to steal the tread, but I have 285\75\16 33" tires, which I have stock 3.55 gears, if I would buy 4.10 Gears for my truck is it hard to changed them out, or would I have to get a auto shop to change them? And if so, do you what type of shop does Gear work and how much $$ does it normally run. What is the biggest Advantage I would get out of changing the out.

Thanks,

DMan
You can change the gears out, BUT unless you have experience doing this I don't recommend it. I don't mean to be offensive, just honest here. If you are asking these questions you need to have a shop do it. Granted it's not hard to do but there are alot of factors that come into play setting up a ring and pinion that you just don't want to get into particularly if you have to setup both a front and rear pumpkin for the first time. As for cost, I would say $300 in labor but again that's just a guess I don't really have an honest answer on that one. Ring and pinion sets are about $400 for front and rear. You also might need a new carrier for eithor the front or rear. Again not really sure but Richmond Gear is indicating that might be the case. Hope this helps some.

Old 01-31-2006, 03:04 AM
Blackflag

One thing to keep in mind is that a 360 backed by a 4:10 wont have the same top speed as a 360 backed by a 3:55 or 3:95 rear end. Sure 4:10 is gonna be great for roasting your tires and all that malarky, but you wont have the best top speed. Granted their trucks, they were ment for pulling right? I would say that 4:10 or 3:95 wouldnt be a bad idea because the engine will easily get you up to whatever speed you need to be at, but professional rear end regearing can be around 1,000 depending on what rear end you have. I have no idea about how expensive the Mopar rear would be, but it is a pain in the *** to do the labor and the parts arent cheap either. Maybe you would be better off taking that money and putting it into engine modifications if you havent already? Just my .02.

Quick Reply: Acceleration w/ 5.9L