2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need Help. 3rd Tranny, 90K miles

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 12:41 PM
tkraft
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help. 3rd Tranny, 90K miles

and now I am having problems again.

2001-1500-off road pkg.-4x4

I have never pulled anything, rarely use 4x4, and I am now having problems with my 3rd transmission (I think). Lately it has been having problems going from 25 to 30 mph. It seems as if the truck suddenly shifts into nuetral and then it will catch. I have taken it to two different shops in the area who KNOW what they are doing and they have been unable to diagnose the problem. The first shop had it for 5 days and could not communicate with the cpu, let it sit over the weekend and then when they got to work on Monday it was working properly. Halfway home on Monday it happened again. I decided to take it to another shop and they have had it since and have not been able to find any problems. Please give any info possible.

Thanks and this forum is a great idea.

Old 01-26-2006, 01:13 PM
purdueranger
Veteran
Default RE: Need Help. 3rd Tranny, 90K miles

If tranny one goes out then shame on the tranny, if tranny two goes out shame on you. Get a beefed up tranny either from APS or Level Ten. It might just be the tranny computer that is messed up and not the tranny. How much does a tranny module cost?

Old 01-26-2006, 03:15 PM
scoupe89

I would scan for codes. Autozone and other stores will scan for free. This should give you better idea of the problem.

Old 01-26-2006, 03:33 PM
BigE
Veteran

It would help if you let us know what engine / trans combo you have. 5.9L and the 46RE trans I assume. Or you could be having trouble with the 4.7L engine and the 45RFE trans. With the 46RE trans I think the engine control module and the trans control module are the same unit.

Old 01-26-2006, 03:43 PM
tkraft

5.9 and 46RE

I have had it scanned and there are not any codes given.

Old 01-26-2006, 03:54 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

For starters, if your tranny has gone out now for the 3rd time....you need to be looking at anything that connects TO the transmission. This could be a bad clutch, a bad control module, a malfunctioning module, or even a bad seal.....

Something that you may want to also consider is that your 4wd may be temporarily kicking on while driving.....and that could cause tranny damage if it was on over extended periods of time on constant dry pavement...

Old 01-26-2006, 04:07 PM
tkraft

Two of the best transmission places around here have had my truck for over a week and they cannot find the problem. I was hoping to find someone on here who may have had a similar problem.

Old 01-26-2006, 06:27 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

I don't know if this is it, cause you have a different problem than I did, but you might replace the Throttle Position Sensor. $35 I have lost two trannies in 60k miles, no dealer or code reader ever detected the bad TPS. After 2 years + of complaining about it, I found out about that on this forum, changed it, and the problem disappeared. Like I said, I had a different problem than you - mine was locking and unlocking at cruise speed, but the problem went undiagnosed - as yours is. Might be worth a shot.

Quick Reply: Need Help. 3rd Tranny, 90K miles