2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

heat/defrost problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 07:31 PM
mbydck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heat/defrost problem

98 Ram QuadCab. All air goes to defrost. Gets plenty hot but cannot get to dash vents or floor vents. Any ideas??

Old 01-26-2006, 07:40 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: heat/defrost problem

You have a vacuum leak. Do a search on this forum for vacuum leak. Lots of people have posted this problem and also posted were they found the vacuum leak to fix it. That will give you a good place to start because finding the leak can be a son-of-a------.

Old 01-26-2006, 10:30 PM
boudreaux
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have seen this problem before. it is the a/c switch. i had to replace mine. the top ****, the one which selects whether floor, vent, or both, ect. Mine would still turn but it blows out the defrost vents no matter where it is. I replaced the switch and it fixed it.

Old 01-26-2006, 10:37 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya actually, that sounds more like your problem then what I first stated, or you could have lost all vacuum. If it is only a vacuum leak like I first stated, it will switch to defrost only under load (like when going up a hill), but the rest of the time you are not on the throttle, it will blow out of the correct vent. So if you can never get it to blow out of the correct vent, then it could be your switch or you have no vacuum at all.

Old 01-27-2006, 02:37 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

thers a fella on ebay sellin one right now for cheep to... search under dodge ram switch and youll get alot of search options to look for..

Quick Reply: heat/defrost problem