2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Some basic questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 11:01 AM
moparhead
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some basic questions

Hey everybody, this is my first actual post, but I have been reading these forums for a while now, even before I got my truck. I love it here, and I love you guys and your knowledge

But anyway, I have a few simple questions. I have a 98 1500 quad cab with a 5.9L and an auto tranny. My alternator is whining/squealing and I'm almost positive its the bearings. Which would be best...do the alternator bearings myself, get someone to rebuild the whole unit, or buy a new one?

Also, I'm going to wash down my engine when the weather breaks here in NJ. I'm going to clean and degrease with gunk engine bright and simple green, then I'm going to dress with CD2 engine detailer. My question is can I spray the degreaser and dresser on the top end of the motor around the fuel injectors and the fuel rail lines next to the intake manifold with no problems?

sorry if this is long but thanks so much in advanced!!

Old 01-27-2006, 11:42 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Some basic questions

First of all, Welcome to DodgeForum and we're glad you chose to join up! I think you may be able to find the answers to your questions here.

Question #1

It's all a matter of cost really. If you can do the bearings or can have it rebuilt for relatively cheap, meaning for less then 1/2-2/3's the cost of a new alternator, then of course go that route. However, if the difference between a rebuilt and a new one are relatively close....and you can afford either way...I would go with the new one. I say that, just because you typically get some kind of warranty on the new ones, and most places only offer like a 90 day warranty on rebuilt ones...

Question #2

Believe it or not, you can do that just fine with no problems. However, dont spray this on with a high powered pressure rinser up close to the engine. Just light pressure water/chemical mix will do the trick just fine. If you are concerned about the injectors and intake....cover them up with a trash bag and some tape....or do it by hand with a handbrush.

You can use the pressure rinser if you want, but either make sure its on a low pressure setting....or stand back a ways so that its not full force up close. I recommend a quick rinse...and then a look....and then another quick rinse to just touch up anything you missed. Let's face it, most engines these days wont look show quality without bein pulled from the car/truck...

Good luck and again, welcome to DF

Quick Reply: Some basic questions