2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Posi trac ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 03:15 PM
Seelow
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Posi trac ?

I have a 2500 ram van with the 5.9 looking to posibly get a posi unit for the rearend. What rear do I have and what is availble? I Just want it because the winters suck around here and I travel a lot. I have 3.92 gears also. Thanks

Old 01-29-2006, 03:19 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Posi trac ?

I got an Auburn Limited Slip for my truck for the same reason (winter sucks). I'm very happy with it. I used to have to put it into 4x4 to get going at stop lights that have a upward slope to them, but that is no longer the case. The extra traction from both wheels turning equally is enough to take care of it. I really like it.

YOu could also get a locker, but depends on how you drive. If it is mostly city driving, that might be overkill.

Old 01-29-2006, 04:11 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

You most likely have a Dana 60, since your van is a 3/4 ton. Check on the underside of the hood or in your glove box to make sure though. Or you can look at the differential cover, though that isn't very accurate [>:] If it has 12 bolts in the cover, it's a 9.25. If it has 10 bolts, it's either a Dana 60 or Dana 70. You'd still need to figure out whether it's a 60 or 70 though, because they don't have the same differential. The 70 has a larger ring gear.

As far as what's available, you can check www.reiderracing.com They have a fairly large selection.

Old 01-29-2006, 05:08 PM
jdcovert
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge

I got an Auburn Limited Slip for my truck for the same reason (winter sucks). I'm very happy with it. I used to have to put it into 4x4 to get going at stop lights that have a upward slope to them, but that is no longer the case. The extra traction from both wheels turning equally is enough to take care of it. I really like it.

YOu could also get a locker, but depends on how you drive. If it is mostly city driving, that might be overkill.

Hey Silver,
How much did you have to shell out for you Auburn LS? Does it seem to be rugged? I wouldm't want something that's going to die early, because I do tow a camper with my Ram and leave the occasional black mark - sometimes I can't help myself

Old 01-30-2006, 02:43 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I paid about $300 for the unit, and it was installed when my 4.10's went in. I think it seems pretty rugged, and the research I did ahead of time seemed to place it up there among the best. It still is just a part time posi, so if you want something more hardcore, might want to consider a locker.

Old 01-30-2006, 03:33 AM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Silver_Dodge
It still is just a part time posi, so if you want something more hardcore, might want to consider a locker.
Unless you're going to do a lot of towing. If you are, you have to make sure it's an electronic locker or an ARB pneumatic locker. [>:]

Old 01-30-2006, 10:51 PM
cableguy
Professional

The Auburn is a good unit. They have a fairly long (15ish yrs.?) history especially with the hot rod set.

Old 01-30-2006, 11:22 PM
dodgebrothers
Veteran

Agree, Auburn is a good unit and the "hot rod" set gives it a lot of abuse!

Quick Reply: Posi trac ?