2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Airaid Intake System?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 04:44 PM
bamory
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Airaid Intake System?

I didnt notice any increase in gas mileage but i sure did notice some added throttle response, in conjunction with the Fastman TB, and a slightly different tone, but not as loud as some people have posted on here. Go with what works for you, cost is a big factor also, I modded mine and it works great, but i wanted to put an extra touch to it and had it planned out before i even bought it. I am planning on chucking the whole system when i get my Ram-air hood, or you can follow HankL's extremely long clip, copy, and paste recommendation, and as for the pipe rusting on my airaid, its still as shiny on the inside as the day i put it on.
ORIGINAL: Racinfan83

Do any of you guys have the "Airaid" air intake/filter system? Any thoughts positive or negative? Increase gas mileage or not? Increase power or not? I noticed from the pictures that it basically comes straight off the side of the tb and stops out in space, instead of like the K&N that goes to the fenderwell in the front. How hard would it be to modify an Airaid to go farther to the front where the "better air" is? Any thoughts from you please post......

Old 01-31-2006, 11:30 PM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'd recommend the ramair box.. just a circular filter on the engine but you can run ducts out the front of your truck.. i know Indy had it on his.. looked really nice.. that way it forces cold air from the outside into the engine.. instead of it trying to suck it in

Old 02-01-2006, 11:37 AM
securtis12
Professional

I would have to go with Bamory I have the Airaid cai and it works well. I have no rust and it has the mount that supports it. I did not notice a mpg increase but a slight power increase. I had a stock with k&N before and in hindsight I should have stuck with that but it is not the first time I have made a mod that did not work the way I wanted it to. My recomendation would be just get a k&N filter for your stock box and invest in a fastman TB.

Steve

Old 02-01-2006, 02:08 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

ORIGINAL: securtis12

I would have to go with Bamory I have the Airaid cai and it works well. I have no rust and it has the mount that supports it. I did not notice a mpg increase but a slight power increase. I had a stock with k&N before and in hindsight I should have stuck with that but it is not the first time I have made a mod that did not work the way I wanted it to. My recomendation would be just get a k&N filter for your stock box and invest in a fastman TB.

Steve
Already have the K&N drop-in and the Fastman TB (see sig). My power increased quite a bit by adding the Hypertech programmer I just got - so based on the posts, I will probably hold off on adding anything else for a while. I appreciate all the responses!

Old 02-02-2006, 02:18 PM
securtis12
Professional

Sorry I did not read your sig. But looks to me like you are quite set. How do you like the fastman? Do you think the programer or the tb gave you more bang for the buck? I am just trying to plot my next mod.
Later
Steve

Old 02-02-2006, 02:27 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

I'd go with the K&N kit... any kit that draws air from inside the engine compartment most likely is not going to perform better than one that is drawing in air from outside or in K&N's case... shielded. The flap mentioned is supposed to be removed so outside air has a more direct path to the filter. If your hesitant to remove it because of possible water intrusion (sp?) you could always make a shield to deflect it or a makeshift air ram to direct air into that area.

I built a shield extention to keep water coming from the bottom from directly hitting the filter. works pretty good and I also think it might isolate a little bit better against the engine compartment heat.

Old 02-02-2006, 03:56 PM
delvo85
Rookie

I have an Airaid on my truck. To me it seems ok i havent had any problems with it I dont see why people have a problem with it but for me its been ok.

Old 02-02-2006, 04:03 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

ORIGINAL: securtis12

Sorry I did not read your sig. But looks to me like you are quite set. How do you like the fastman? Do you think the programer or the tb gave you more bang for the buck? I am just trying to plot my next mod.
Later
Steve
Right now I would have to say the programmer made the most difference. That being said, the Fastman made a difference when I installed it - so I don't know if the programmer would have helped as much without already having the Fastman. I have noticed in the two days I have driven to work since installing the program that the truck never "kicks down" when going up a hill like it used to....so it must be making enough power to avoid the kick down. The real test will be the next time I go out to central Mo. and use the cruise control. I have always hesitated to use the cruise because the tranny "kicks down" on every little hill. Maybe the programmer will fix that. I am happy with the response and power gains I have made with this mod combo now, putting in the program really helped with the sloppy shifting issue I had also. I will post a new thread when I can get some updated mileage figures and get to make a long highway drive with it.

Old 04-25-2006, 01:18 AM
KenB

New to Dodge's but not to making HP

I was going to make my own cold air, but decided just to buy the Airaid since it was cheap. I have a shop and dyno so I'll do some before and after testing and post the results. I also bought a TB spacer (I know) to dyno. I used to always think cold air intakes were a joke. They never did anything for most of the cars I work on. But it depends on the vehicle. The new 2005 Mustang gets significant gains from a cold air. So I figured I would give it a shot.

Ken

Quick Reply: Airaid Intake System?