2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

C/E Light Came On - Dadgummit!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 09:21 PM
jdcovert
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C/E Light Came On - Dadgummit!

On my way home from work the check engine light comes on with code P1740. My Superchips booklet says the code means "TCC or O/D solenoid perf"
SO, my question is; Does anyone know exactly what the problem could be? Is it something I can fix? Is it a big deal? How much $$$$ to correct the problem? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 02-03-2006, 11:05 PM
2001ramsport
Veteran
Default RE: C/E Light Came On - Dadgummit!

when my truck threw the old P1720 code I had to change the Torque converter. the steeler wanted $800 to install a reman. one.I install a hyperf. aftermarket one myself for about $350 and a shift kit to boot. have the steeler do a"stall test" on the Torque converter to see if thats realy the problem. can you tell if the t.c. is locking-up properly?

Old 02-04-2006, 10:01 AM
jdcovert
Veteran

Everything seems to be performing allright. What symptoms should I be looking for? Is there anything else that can go wrong because of this? Thanks!

Old 02-04-2006, 12:56 PM
2001ramsport
Veteran

My truck had to real symptoms other than the c.e. light, but get it fixed asap.if the t.c.goes bad it can send **** thruout the entire tranny causing some major damage

Old 02-04-2006, 02:45 PM
jdcovert
Veteran

Well, I called the Chrysler dealership and they told me I'd have to replace the Input Shaft, Front pump, and the TC - with a cost of only a couple grand [sm=smiley21.gif] What do I do?!?!

Old 02-04-2006, 06:40 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

If you are out of warranty, don't let the dealer rebuild your tranny! If you are within 70k miles and 7 years you might still have powertrain warranty left. I bought mine in November 2001, they were giving a free 7yr/100k p-train warranty then. Check into that if thats your case. Look into an aftermarket one (apsprecision.com) or find a good independent tranny shop with lots of experience with Dodge trannies. Dealer has rebuilt mine and changed the converter twice in 60k miles (under warranty) When I go out of warranty I will go elsewhere for tranny work.....

Chances are your tranny is already starting to be f'ed up inside anyway. I'd drive it until it really starts slipping or something. It will need rebuilt either way.... If you have absolutely no slipping or symptoms of failure, I'd have someone check the sensor that threw the code. My ce light never came on the first time the tranny imploded. Good luck!

Old 02-05-2006, 05:10 PM
jdcovert
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Racinfan83

If you are out of warranty, don't let the dealer rebuild your tranny! If you are within 70k miles and 7 years you might still have powertrain warranty left. I bought mine in November 2001, they were giving a free 7yr/100k p-train warranty then. Check into that if thats your case. Look into an aftermarket one (apsprecision.com) or find a good independent tranny shop with lots of experience with Dodge trannies. Dealer has rebuilt mine and changed the converter twice in 60k miles (under warranty) When I go out of warranty I will go elsewhere for tranny work.....

Chances are your tranny is already starting to be f'ed up inside anyway. I'd drive it until it really starts slipping or something. It will need rebuilt either way.... If you have absolutely no slipping or symptoms of failure, I'd have someone check the sensor that threw the code. My ce light never came on the first time the tranny imploded. Good luck!
Yeah, my truck is an '01 with 88k miles. But I'm the 2nd owner, does the warranty still apply??

I don't see any change in performance. It doesn't slip, make any noises, or anything. The Tranny fluid is good. About a week & a half ago I had the local Chrysler dealership change the oil and check fluid and grease and that (don't like the dealership, they don't have a clue what they're doing, but I had a free coupon and it was oil an oil change so I figured what the heck?) I also bought a Superchips programmer for my truck about three weeks ago. I know that it does remap shift points and such. Those kind of make me wonder...

What are some other symptoms I should be onthe lookout for??

So where should I start? Take it to a dealer and have them do a quick check on the sensor and have 'em run som tests to get a diagnosis?

Old 02-05-2006, 07:47 PM
2001ramsport
Veteran

sound like they told you a bunch of crap. how can they tell you that over the phone? take you truck to someone who knows what thay are talking about. PS. a powerprogramer will not change your shift points. thay are not controlled by the pcm only the overdrive and tc. lockup. Also there is a TSB on the boost plate http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2000/21-11-00.htm hope this helps

Old 02-06-2006, 04:22 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

ORIGINAL: jdcovert

ORIGINAL: Racinfan83

Yeah, my truck is an '01 with 88k miles. But I'm the 2nd owner, does the warranty still apply??

I don't see any change in performance. It doesn't slip, make any noises, or anything. The Tranny fluid is good. About a week & a half ago I had the local Chrysler dealership change the oil and check fluid and grease and that (don't like the dealership, they don't have a clue what they're doing, but I had a free coupon and it was oil an oil change so I figured what the heck?) I also bought a Superchips programmer for my truck about three weeks ago. I know that it does remap shift points and such. Those kind of make me wonder...

What are some other symptoms I should be onthe lookout for??

So where should I start? Take it to a dealer and have them do a quick check on the sensor and have 'em run som tests to get a diagnosis?

The first time mine went out I had had the dealer check the tranny out like three times in the first 39k miles because I just didn't think it was acting right. It was locking and unlocking at cruise speed, shifting betwee 3rd and od almost instantly, stuff like that. they changed a leaking trans pan gasket at 22k, so fluid etc. was changed then. They always hooked up their computer and drove it, always came back and told me it was normal. It started to slip a little in 1st gear at 40k, dealer told me the fluid probably needed changed. Paid them $115 to do it. 4 days
later, it started slipping really bad and making noise. Took it back to dealer, they rebuilt it and charged me $100 deductible even though I had just paid $115 4 days before for the fluid change they said would fix it. Needless to say, I paid them the $100 to get my truck back and have never returned to that dealer. (I was a regular there - even had my oil changes done there they still wouldn't cut me a break) The "locking and unlocking" problem on the highway was still there. At 60k I had a "check engine" light so I went to another dealer. The cel was due to a bad charcol canister, I had them ride with me with a computer hooked up to try and diagnose the constant tranny problem. Diagnosis was - need tranny rebuilt again. New converter again, new valve body, new tranny guts. Od unit was fried. Got it back from dealer - still had the lock/unlock issue. Found this forum, discovered it was the TPS. I changed it - no problem anymore!
So - I guess what I'm trying to say is, after 2 dealers and their fancy computers I fixed the problem myself for $32. The bad tps probably caused both tranny implosions, never once did the tps register on the dealer's radar. No ce light for tranny issues, nothing. You could take it to the dealer and see if they will run a diagnosis - I don't know how honest they are or if they will be able to find the problem. If you are lucky, they can put the VIN # into their computer and see if the truck has the 7/100 p-train warranty. If so - hell, let em rebuild it! Cost you $100 deductible. The second tranny that went bad on me displayed no symptoms other than the tc locking issue that I think was the tps.
Tough call in your case - but I would suggest going to the dealer and finding out if you have warranty left, and proceed from there.
Sorry for the novel.....

Old 02-06-2006, 05:06 PM
2001ramsport
Veteran

WOW YOU REALLY GOT HOSED, SOUNDS LIKE BOTH REBUILDS WE UNEEDED

Quick Reply: C/E Light Came On - Dadgummit!