2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny shifter vibration???

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006 | 03:12 AM
Shadow Caster
|
Rookie
Default Tranny shifter vibration???

I have a 2002 ram 4x4 diesel with a 5 speed trans. I have noticed that when I am going down the highway at about 60 or above my shifter shakes alot. Alot more then I think it should. Anyone ever seen this or know what it might be?

Old 02-04-2006 | 03:16 AM
Racinfan83
All Star
Default RE: Tranny shifter vibration???

Have you checked your u-joints? Could be a loose one. Check your driveshaft for a clean spot where a balancing weight might have come off. Check the tranny mounting bolts and make sure they haven't come loose. You could even have a wheel out of balance which could shake the shifter, but not the truck cab as much. Good luck....

Old 02-04-2006 | 07:21 PM
Shadow Caster
|
Rookie

Thanks dude. Yeah I checked all that because I am a diesel mechanic. I work on big trucks and I dont know as much about smaller vehicles but I can usually get through. The only thing I havent checked is tire balance. I know it is a lil out of line and the ball joints are gonna need replacing before too long so maybe after I do that stuff it will fix it. Thank alot.

Old 02-04-2006 | 08:49 PM
daimler_ch5

i have a 95 318 gasoline 5spd 4x4. my shifter shakes like a son of a bitch, but the engine idles smooth and it shifts right every time. i guess it never really bothered me, as most standard trans vehicles ive ever had have had shaky shifters. id say if everything works right and is still tight, it isnt really a problem. i know that cummins does put out a hell of a rumble...

Old 02-05-2006 | 03:38 PM
Shadow Caster
|
Rookie

Yeah it does. And like you said it is all still tight. I dont think there is a prob I was just wondering if anyone else was having an issue also. Thanks for your input.

Quick Reply: Tranny shifter vibration???