2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

headlights went out, dont know what to do....

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 03:59 PM
cumminsboy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlights went out, dont know what to do....

i have a 96 and just recently my headlights went out. its like a fuse burnt, but there arent a burnt fuses. When i pull on the headlight switch, the parking lights come on, but the regular headlights work. also when i pull back on the lever to go from his to lows, it will light up the brights, but they only stay on as long as i pull back on the lever. so im really stuck, and i dont know what to do about it. Please help!

Old 02-04-2006, 05:06 PM
lamby
Default RE: headlights went out, dont know what to do....

The same thing happend to me in my 01 but I just kicked on the high's and drove that way for a little while and then tried the low's again and they worked. That only happend one time and hasn't happend again so I will be following your post to see what input others have. Also, I have the Sylvania SilverStars not that that should matter.

Old 02-04-2006, 05:54 PM
nmason
Veteran

ive also got a 96 and think ive been going through alot of bulbs myself. had some xenon lights i got at the toronto indy, they didnt last but a few months. ive now got the GE Nighthawk in there and ive got one gone again, i think they went in 3 months ago as well... the wiring and everythign looked good but i really dont know what im looking for.

as for the headlights not coming on, that also happened to me, i also just drove with highs on for about 2 months. same as cumminsboy, they just started working again.

Old 02-04-2006, 11:38 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check your bulbs your lows could be gone then check your grounds make shyre you have a good ground at the headlights themselves, and the headlight and dimmer switch also check your relays. i have PIAA extream white bulbs there great not cheap how but they come with a 1 year warrenty so if they burn out often its a good way to get free bulbs and youll have good ones

Old 02-05-2006, 12:13 AM
monkeywrench

I would say you dimmer switch is bad.

Old 02-05-2006, 12:37 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

There has been 3 occasions in a year that I was driving down the road adn I switched from high's to lows, and my lights went completely out. I freaked out driving 60 MPH with no head lights and just hit high beams again. They came up, then switching to lows they worked. Its wierd.

Your problem could be in the switch though. I'd take that apart and look for a short.

Quick Reply: headlights went out, dont know what to do....