2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Torque

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 09:32 PM
chas3366
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torque

First, thanks to all who have posted here. This is a good site w/ alot of good information.

I have a 2000 1500 4x4 QC 360 cid 46re tranny 3.55 gears 265/75/16 Michelin M/S tires. It's only got 45k miles on it. I have installed a K&N cold air intake, cat back exhaust system w/ Magnaflow high flow cat, Superchips, MSD coil and wires, Autolite plugs (one step cooler than stock), aluminum belly pan w/ Felpro gasket, 180* thermostat, and a Transgo shift kit (adjusted bands while I was in there).

Top end is great, but this thing launches like a pig. It is plenty loud, and sounds like it should be moving, but, until I get going about 20mph, it just won't pull. I know these trucks are heavy, but it seems like w/ all that motor it should go. My wife drives a 4.7l Durango that will flat *** light 'em up, and all I have done to that is drop a K&N filter in it. Before this truck, I had a 4.7l Dakota that was even faster.

Don't get me wrong. I don't go to the strip or drive around town looking for people race, but, for all the duckies I'm pouring into this 5.9l, it would be nice to stomp it and go every once and a while. Break a wheel loose? Maybe if I dumped a bucket of 10w40 on the road under the tires.

Any suggestions on where to go from here would be appreciated.

Old 02-04-2006, 09:37 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Torque

From what you wrote, the first thing I would look at are your gears. You might want to consider going to something like a 4.10 ratio. The other thing I would suggest is to take a look at the computer and see if it has been given the death flash. That could also account for the slowness of your truck. I am running 4.10 in the rear and have a hypertech to conteract my death flash and I can roast the tires. Prior to the hypertech I could not even break them loose.

Old 02-04-2006, 09:41 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

I'm thinking the quart of oil under the tires? My list of mods is in my sig below. I have the 3.55 gears with the 5.2, and even with the mods it won't light the tires from a dead stop. Guess that saves me money on rubber......Nice list of mods you have - may I suggest one more: a Fastman TB www.thefastman.com Around $225 if you mention DF. You would need the 52mm TB for your 360.

ORT, he has a Superchips listed, I guess you missed it....that should get rid of the death flash. I still can't light em up even with the Hypertech. Maybe it's the 500 pounds of tools and chains and crap in my tool box.......Hee,Hee,Hee

BTW, Thanks for the Hypertech info you gave me on the other post...Got mine 4 days ago - it made a big difference!

Old 02-04-2006, 09:47 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got in, must not have read all that carefully. That is why I teach math. Anyway, the throttle body is a good suggestion. I know I saw a big gain when I put mine on.

Old 02-04-2006, 09:57 PM
chas3366

I have a set of Harland Sharp 1.7 roller rockers on the way as soon as there in the TB is next. Was the performance gain from the Fastman TB noticeable on the low end?

I have been thinking about taller gears. I have done some searches to try to figure out just how many mpg its going to cost me. 1 or 2 would be worth it, but if I'm going to go from ~15mpg to 9 or 10 that would hurt.

Old 02-05-2006, 02:22 AM
97DodgeRam

The fastman 52mm wont hurt your mileage any. It might even help it. With my old truck I gained 2 mpg w/ a K&N FIPK and a 50mm throttlebody. I had the 318. With the 360 go w/ a 52mm

Quick Reply: Torque