2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Emergency lighting

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 10:54 AM
bamory
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Emergency lighting

No we can do either, Im out in the country and they are putting in a sub-station across from my house, about 30 seconds away, will have a pumper and a brush truck etc etc. Normally I would respond from there, but If i am not at home and need to get to my trucks without interruption, thats where the lights come in. As for responding directly to the scene, most firemen can do that in Ohio, but to bend the traffic laws in Ohio you must have a vehicle that has been inspected and certified as a state emergency vehicle, which is what I am doing.

Its not about blowing through traffic, its about being able to get to scene safely and fast and with the equipment needed to do the job or just being able to get to the equipment. We've also had firemen pulled over in Ohio for speeding and having flashers on their truck, but they were lacking the most important thing, the certification for the emergency vehicle. Police can run your plate's as you pass them and it will come up as a certified emergency unit, but you better be heading somewhere your supposed and not just playing around.

Old 02-06-2006, 01:59 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man, here in MI I see our volunteer firefighters have all colors of lights and sirens on there cars and trucks. They blow through (well not blow through ) stop lights too once everybody has stoped.

Old 02-06-2006, 03:46 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

Just a useless piece of info....Here in Missouri a tow truck is considered an emergency vehicle and runs red lights and sirens just like the other emergency vehicles......

Old 02-06-2006, 04:39 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

here in NY .. if your a chief you can run redlights (same as police, mandatory pullover) but we dont have to have our personally owend vehicles inspected or anything

Old 02-06-2006, 05:07 PM
bamory
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But see as a volunteer I can run them legally with the certified vehicle and I don't even need to be chief. Anyhow thanks for the heads up on the web site I should be able to come up with a setup. I would just like to be able to tie them all together, LED's and red and whites, thanks all.........
ORIGINAL: shott8283

here in NY .. if your a chief you can run redlights (same as police, mandatory pullover) but we dont have to have our personally owend vehicles inspected or anything

Old 02-06-2006, 08:39 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Racinfan83

Just a useless piece of info....Here in Missouri a tow truck is considered an emergency vehicle and runs red lights and sirens just like the other emergency vehicles......
WTF

Wish we coudl do that here I'd have reds and a siren in no time lol

Old 02-06-2006, 09:53 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

I know it's weird, I been a lot of other places and Mo is the only one I've seen where wreckers are "emergency vehicles". I know that years back they were considered "emergency vehicles" due to the fact that the wreckers had the equipment to rip and cut cars apart in bad wrecks, often the fire depts. in the country didn't have extrication equipment like they do now. I was a volunteer back then and we would use the wrecker winch and blocks to tear off doors and roofs. Kinda crude, but functional. Nowadays, here in the city, they run lights and sirens just so they can get through the traffic to get to the wreck to clear it promptly. If they didn't these moron drivers down here would sit and block the wrecker - and bitch because the wreck was blocking traffic.......

Old 02-06-2006, 10:16 PM
REDKNOB
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Racinfan83

If they didn't these moron drivers down here would sit and block the wrecker - and bitch because the wreck was blocking traffic.......
Growing up in Mo. I used to think the same, but then I ended up here in Pa. and let me tell you,,,Mo. drivers have it going on!!

Old 02-06-2006, 11:38 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

Boy, do I feel sorry for you then........where in Mo did you grow up?

Old 02-07-2006, 01:24 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

my dad said they are like that in baltimore i thing it was too and for the same reason to clear the roads faster.

Keep us updated on your setup man. I need to make a wacker smilie lol

Quick Reply: Emergency lighting