2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need Advice - differential and transmission repairs

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 06:41 PM
GrumpyRamOwner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice - differential and transmission repairs

I have a 98 dodge ram 1500 5.9l 175,000 miles. Its mostly a daily commuter. Occasional hunting trips up into the hills. Never tow anything.

The other day I noticed slightly lower gas milleage, and the truck was cruising at slightly higher RPMs. So i took it to the dealership sevice guys to see what was wrong.

They ruined my day - told me the differential had to be rebuilt - 1650$. And the transmission needed work - 2,100 to 3,500 dollars. "torque converter not engaging - need to investigate and fix".

Thats a bunch of money. More than i can really deal with right now, and well....here I am.

Suggestions? Advice? Is this typical? Perhaps a cheaper alternative?

Old 02-06-2006, 07:25 PM
MAGICDSSMAN
Professional
Default RE: Need Advice - differential and transmission repairs

Alot of time the torque converter not engaging and disengaging correctly is caused by the tps sensor located on the driverside of the throttle body. I would change it and see if it corrects that probem. If I remember correctly the tps sensor runs between $25-$35 at your local parts store.

The rear diff problem assuming you have a 2wd truck you could probubly find a good shop that would rebuilt the diff for less than $700 or less and upgrade your gears if you are looking for more performance and you have larger than stock tires.

Old 02-06-2006, 07:27 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?! You can buy a BRAND NEW ring and pinion kit and new bearins, seals, ect. for like under $300. DO NOT PAY THAT. As for the tranny, take it to a tranny shop and see what they say... Stealerships suck and just want to take your money. Tell them to go to hell

You need to stay away from them to save your self a few grand on this.

Old 02-06-2006, 08:51 PM
2001ramsport
Veteran

i'm sure can find a good diff. in a junk yard cheep.as for the trany, ya I wouid change the tps. fist.if that does not fix it have the tc. lockup solenoid checked out.

Quick Reply: Need Advice - differential and transmission repairs