2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trans Problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 09:20 PM
Bassman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Problem

Hey here lately I have noticed a more harsh engagment going into reverse and forth gear just seems to kind of fall in to gear when it shifts the trans doesnt slip at all but I changed the fluid this weekend and there was some metal pieces in the bottom of the pan [:@]they were not very big but big enough in my opinion to worry about does anyone know what this could be?

Old 02-07-2006, 10:15 AM
2001ramsport
Veteran
Default RE: Trans Problem

YEAH BIG TROUBLE &$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 02-07-2006, 06:46 PM
mrsweet69

ya, you should take it to a shop to get it fixed before it gets worse...metal grindings = death to transmissions

Old 02-07-2006, 08:54 PM
QuadCab318
Rookie

some fine metal grindings might not hurt. When was the last time you changed the fluid and adjusted the bands? Since you are working on the trans you might want to clean the speed sensor.

Old 02-07-2006, 09:43 PM
Bassman

Well the truck has an aftermarket waranty so I should be ok if it does break. I dont think the fluid has ever been changed it only has 60,000 miles on it. But I figure it will have to get worse before the shop will waranty it. How do you adjust the bands? I saw where to adjust it but I didnt know what to do with it. And I didnt want to mess with it seeing as how it is not slipping.

Old 02-07-2006, 10:03 PM
Matt Harwood
Professional

Tell me about adjusting the bands... I'm going to open the pan up later this week for a fluid and filter change and maybe install a shift kit. How do I adjust bands while I'm in there?

Thanks.

Old 02-08-2006, 12:12 AM
QuadCab318
Rookie

There are two bands, the front (kickdown) band and the Rear (low-reverse) band.
The front band is on the outside of the trans (on the driver's side, near the TV lever). It is a adjusting screw with a locknut on it. Loosen the adjusting screw locknut approximately five turns, then loosen the adjusting screw a few turns, with no binding; lubricate it with penetrating oil if necessary. Tighten the adjusting screw to 72 in-lbs (6 ft-lbs) of torque, then back it off the number of turns listed at the bottom of the post. Hold the adjusting screw from turning, then tighten the locknut to the torque listed at the bottom of the post.
The Rear is in the trans so you have got to remove the pan. It is not hard to miss it the only adjusting screw there. Loosen the adjusting screw locknut and back it off four turns. Make sure the screw turns freely in the lever. Tighten the adjusting screw to 72 in-lbs (6 ft-lbs) of torque, then back it off the number of turns listed at the bottom of the post. Hold the adjusting screw from turning, then tighten the locknut to the torque listed at the bottom of the post.
Install the pan and refill the trans.

List of torques

Front Band.............................................. .................................................. ................................Tighten to 72 in-lbs, back off 2-1/2 turns
Rear Band
32/42RH.............................................. .................................................. ....................Tighten to 72 in-lbs, back off 4 turns
36/37/46/47RH.............................................. .................................................. ...........Tighten to 72 in-lbs, back off 2 turns

Front Band
42RH.............................................. .................................................. .........................Tighten to 72 in-lbs, back off 2-1/4 turns
46RH.............................................. .................................................. .........................Tighten to 72 in-lbs, back off 2-7/8 turns
47RH.............................................. .................................................. .........................Tighten to 72 in-lbs, back off 1-7/8 turns
Rear Band
42RH.............................................. .................................................. .........................Tighten to 72 in-lbs, back off 4 turns
46RH.............................................. .................................................. .........................Tighten to 72 in-lbs, back off 2 turns
47RH.............................................. .................................................. .........................Tighten to 72 in-lbs, back off 3 turns

1996 and 1997
Front Band.............................................. .................................................. ................................Tighten to 72 in-lbs, back off 2-7/8 turns
Rear Band.............................................. .................................................. .................................Tighten to 72 in-lbs, back off 2 turns

1998 and later
Front Band
46RE transmission...................................... .................................................. ..............Tighten to 72 in-lbs, back off 2-7/8 turns
47RE transmission...................................... .................................................. ..............Tighten to 72 in-lbs, back off 1-7/8 turns
Rear Band
46RE transmission...................................... .................................................. ..............Tighten to 72 in-lbs, back off 2 turns
47RE transmission...................................... .................................................. ..............Tighten to 72 in-lbs, back off 3 turns

Automatic transmission band adjusting screw locknut torque
Front Band.............................................. .................................................. ..................................30 ft-lbs.
Rear Band.............................................. .................................................. ...................................25 ft-lbs.

The trans #'s mean the type of transmission. 42's were paired with V-6s, 46's paired with some V-6s and all V-8s, 47's with V-10s and diesels

Quick Reply: Trans Problem