2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dually Removal/Conversion to Single Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 06:18 AM
alex_kors
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dually Removal/Conversion to Single Wheel

im wondering if anyone has done this to their truck or if anyones EVER done it. how hard would it be? im thinking since im only towing 1 car its just extra weight back there and i could save some weight, increase my gas milage if its possible and, make towing a little easier. its a dodge ram 3500 dually.

Old 02-09-2006, 01:55 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dually Removal/Conversion to Single Wheel

i dont think it would help all that much check this out for a pic https://dodgeforum.com/m_388719/tm.htm

Old 02-09-2006, 03:48 PM
The Burning Rom
Record Breaker

It's been done...but you're better off trading your truck for one that you want. And if you're only towing one car, you probably don't need a 1-ton truck. A 1/2ton or 3/4ton would do just fine. Dually Rams are EXCELLENT tow rigs, especially if you're running a 5th wheel setup. That's why they have those dual wheels...to take the extra weight when towing.

The picture above is of a ram with different rims on it. That's it. If you wanted to completely switch to a single wheel rear axle (and save any weight), you'd have to change the box, rims, and both your axles IIRC because the front is also setup to run dual wheel rims. I also don't think you'd see much of a mileage increase as you're still driving around in a 1-ton pickup.

Old 02-09-2006, 05:41 PM
alex_kors

ORIGINAL: ryans590

i dont think it would help all that much check this out for a pic https://dodgeforum.com/m_388719/tm.htm

i meant completely removing the dually flare's, dually rear axle/rear...sounds like its not worth it at all.

Old 02-10-2006, 12:15 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

o ok well no its not really worth it to change it out

Old 02-10-2006, 01:51 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

too bad they wiegh a billion pounds... swapping that rear tire for all that extra meat would make a killer stip rod... wouldnt have to tub anything..already done... although tubbing isnt hard at all..

if you got a dually and looking for a regular truck... if the dually is in good condition.. you should make out on the trade in.. meaning value wise...

like trading a benz for a saturn... shouldnt hurt on the trade in too bad... biggest thing that sucks on trading in a vehicle is going upside down on the financial part

Old 02-10-2006, 03:02 AM
daimler_ch5

if i remember correctly the flares are molede into the sheet metal for the box. itd be a shame to cut up such a beautiful truck, and they do hold a good resale value if you are looking to move into something smaller.

Old 02-10-2006, 04:40 AM
alex_kors

i may look into switching to a 2500 or something very soon. im gonna go to the dodge dealership and see what they say. i just HATE dealing with car sales men. thanks for all your opinions!

Old 03-28-2007, 03:33 AM
RideIcon

i want a single rear wheeled truck with a gvwr over 10,000lbs so i can legally lift it to the sky!
i plan on buying a 03 dually and converting it to single, anyone know anything about the conversion?

Quick Reply: Dually Removal/Conversion to Single Wheel