2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Flowmaster Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 03:29 PM
NyRangers88
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flowmaster Exhaust

How much gas mileage does it improve for a 98 Ram? How much does it cost to get instalation because im thinking about getting one off ebay! Does anyone know the general price im looking at?

Old 02-14-2006, 04:28 PM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran
Default RE: Flowmaster Exhaust

Welcome to the forum!

I just had my entire exhaust replaced from the manifolds back past the muffler. I got the Magnaflow Direct fit Catalytic Conv. from Summit racing and then had a Flowmaster installed.

My 98 was found to be missing an o2 sensor on the drivers side. Sometime in the past, before I bought the truck, someone had cut the wires to that O2, and I guess replaced the exhaust also since no o2 bung was on the old down pipe. Double check yours.

The shop that installed the muffler had to: 1. Order a new harness for the o2. 2. Order a new o2. and 3. Install a new bung on the new downpipe that I put in with my cat.

All that said, it hasn't improved my mileage yet. I think my computer is still adjusting to the new stuff being added and will take a little while (doesn't help that I had to disconnect the battery yesterday to replace the starter either).

But I can tell you this, maybe mileage hasn't improved, but when I hammer the throttle people on the sidewalks tend to move out of the way!!!

Old 02-14-2006, 07:35 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a flowmaster system off of ebay a few months ago. It consisted of an extension pipe, muffler, dual rear pipes and two stainless steel tips. The system itself was about $180. Installation took about two and a half hours. It took more time to get the rusty old system off than it did to put the new one on. If you have a sawsall and basic hand tools, you should be able to do the install yourself. If you have a welder, it is a plus b/c if you can weld it, all of the clamps will not be showing.

Old 02-14-2006, 09:43 PM
Tani1500
Champion

huh gas mileage. mine went down to like 8 mpg. not up. only on because im reving the hell out of it though

Old 02-14-2006, 10:11 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me too. My city mileage went in the toilet from hitting the gas to hear the new muffler. But on the highway, I did see a gain of 1 or 2 mpg since I put on the exhaust system.

Old 02-15-2006, 02:51 AM
NyRangers88

So there really no gas mileage improvement with the flowmaster? Is there any other Wxhaust system that does improve or anything?

Old 02-15-2006, 03:06 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

there is an improvement..its just hard to see it b/c you get a suden case of leadfoot-itis.... a common desease linked to modding the rams... hard to see and mpg improvment when your romping on the gas a good 3 tanks to feel the new power

i saw around 1-3 mpg's when the new duals were on...and then i put the second system on with headers and found close to 4 on avg....about 3 months later that is.

rangers huh? dont know why im helping ya... im a sabres guy myself... just kidding

Old 02-15-2006, 08:48 PM
zipper

I got the same ebay exhuast. It isn't the greatest sounding exhaust. The magnaflow sounds better. I just bought a 3" resonator pipe to put in front of the muffler to see if that will change the tone a little and improve the sound. we shall see.

Old 02-15-2006, 10:02 PM
nmason
Veteran

i went with a flowmaster 40 series on my 96. sounds amazing, performance is noticeably better, but the mileage is so so. there was a difference the first tank, but then winter came also find myself flooring it alot more now.

Quick Reply: Flowmaster Exhaust