2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

More tranny woes

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006 | 12:51 PM
MAGICDSSMAN
|
Professional
Default More tranny woes

Well I haven't had time to replace my torwue converter yet and lastnight I went to go get some food and when I went to put the tranny in gear to leave it kindof bucked and then died. I put my truck and nuetral and she cranked right back up so put it in gear again and this time she died immediately. So I took today off from work and I am getting ready to drop my tranny. What worries me the most is that the pump is damaged but I don't know squat when it comes to auto transmissions. So oif anybody thinks it could be something else please chime in. Sorry for the rant but I hate auto tranny's. I guess I realy can't complain more than 240,000 miles on my tranny and I am just recently having problems.

Old 02-16-2006 | 01:59 PM
EMRJPV
Default RE: More tranny woes

Mine did the same thing this week. Is your check engine light on? Mine came on and I had to change my Vehicle Speed Sensor. I got the part at autozone for 30 and replaced it and doing fine now. It was the sensor that is on the bottom of the trans right where it tapers down to the driveshaft. Check for codes. Sometime they wont set of the check enhgine light.

Old 02-16-2006 | 02:04 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker

if your truck is salling wen you put it in gear it sounds a little more serious especaly if you were having propd with the TC before but its always a good igea to check codes your hypertec ppIII should do it or this site tells you how on a 97 http://dodgeram.org/tech/gas/Trouble/pcm_fault_code.htm

Old 02-16-2006 | 05:31 PM
MAGICDSSMAN
|
Professional

I have a diagnostic setup for my laptop and checked the codes and I am throwing a p0740 which is tcc lockup malfunction. I have talked to a few people at tranny shops and I was told if the tcc locked up and stayed locked up it could cause that problem. I went out this morning before it started raining to do a little more diagnostics. I started the truck up and put it into gear with my foot on the brake and it stalled. I did that about 3 times and said f@^k it and started the truck back up and through it into gear without holding the brake and it tried to stall but didn't so I ran through all the gears and it was now fine. So I do beleive the tcc was stuck in the locked position. I am going to take it to my cousins shop this weekend (120miles away) because we are going to have freezing rain all weekend and I am not paying somebody $400 to put a tcc in.

Old 02-17-2006 | 02:37 AM
cableguy
Professional

I had this same stalling problem last month after I had to pull my bro-in-laws 11000lb dump truck out of a field. (Got it done too!) It threw the check eng. light on, but when I put a scanner on it, it wouldn't show any codes. The problem went away after awhile. Anyway, I had to go to Harrisburg today (110ish miles), and all the way out, and all the way back on the turnpike the tcc kept unlocking and relocking. The light came back on, butI don't have access to the scanner right now. Anybody know how much a new converter is?

Old 02-17-2006 | 11:46 AM
zipper

i good one is pretty expensive...$300 and up. You can get one at autozone that will replace your stock for about $170 plus $30 core charge. I am guessing (not postive because they don't state it as) that it is a reman. Or you can watch ebay and hope to get lucky with a lower stall heavy duty one someone may be selling.

Old 02-17-2006 | 02:22 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

hey dont forget the TC lockup solenoid... that could also be the problem. not sure how it all works but just keep it in mind when your working on it. What's the manual have to say about it?

Quick Reply: More tranny woes