2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

help gettin it started

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 07:53 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help gettin it started

alright my trucks not startin now- its not the battery cuz the radio will play (plus i tried jumpin it just to double check). i have no clue what to do. any ideas as to what to try??

Old 02-18-2006, 08:02 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: help gettin it started

duz it turn over, click or nouthing? do the interior lights dim wen you turn the key to start?

Old 02-18-2006, 10:38 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

It clicks, but doesnt turn over. i dont know about the lights- i didnt really notice.

Old 02-18-2006, 10:49 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

Just because your radio works doesn't mean the batt has enough power to start it. First - take off the batt cables and clean them good with a wire brush or terminal brush. See if that works. If not, Turn your headlights on and have someone watch when you turn the key. If the lights go out or almost out, there is a good possibility the starter is bad. If you can get to it, take a rubber mallet or a regular hammer and tap carefully on the starter. Then try and start it again. If it starts, the bushings in the starter are bad. If it doesn't, try tapping on it while someone has the key in "start" position. Again, if it starts when you tap on it, you need a new starter. Hope this helps

BTW - Do you have a manual tranny? If so, either let it roll down a hill or have your buddies hand push you or tow you - turn key to "run" , put in 2nd gear, push in the clutch until you get rolling good, drop the clutch. If you are rolling fast enough it will start......Be careful!

Old 02-18-2006, 11:09 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

thanx. ill try that tomorrow and let yall know whats up.

Old 02-18-2006, 11:15 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yah if its clicking id say ither you have a bat batt/comection or bad starter id do as Racinfan83 says and go from there
side storie in my dads 94 dodge he kept a sparte starter behind the seat cus it would go out so often (it was a standered so no big deal as long as you can pull start it lol) took it to dodge a cupple times and they sed there was nouthing wrong lol after 2 new starters from dodge a cupple rebulds he just pickes up at a junkyard now

Old 02-18-2006, 11:59 PM
1996ramkid
Professional

my guess is going to be the starter i just had it happen to me. it was like $140 at advanced auto parts.

Old 02-19-2006, 04:13 PM
Racinfan83
All Star

Did you get it running yet? Or are you busy watching the 500.....LOL

Old 02-19-2006, 05:29 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

haha- that 500 thing is kind of a joke, but its true!! sort of- im watchin the race instead of tryin to get it started, but other than try to tap the starter theres not much i can do. Besides even if i get it started i have to take it to a garage tomorrow to get it fixed- my dads not lettin me try it myself (im 17) cuz he thinks ill screw it up worse than it is now. but ill let yall know whats goin on with it monday night or tuesday after i get it back.

o yea and its rather annoying about my dad not lettin me mess with it. He never was interested in cars and could care less about them still, so hed rather have our mechanic work on it and know what hes doin rather than me do it and learn as i go. o well at least itll be running again

Old 02-20-2006, 12:26 AM
mustang_170556
Professional

that sucks man. there's no greater feeling than working on your own truck and having it run great afterwards. course on that same note, it sucks when no matter what you do there is something wrong. lol[:@]

Quick Reply: help gettin it started