2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

horn problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 10:29 AM
john1998
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default horn problem

Newbe here with a stupid question. I have a 98 ram quad cab 4x4 that I bought new and only has 18k miles and my horn will not work when you push the right side of the steering wheel. The left side will work but you have to find the right spot and requires that you push very hard to get it to work. Because of the airbag being in there I'am a little worried about removing it to see what the problem is. Could anyone tell me what I can do to fix this ?

Old 02-19-2006, 12:55 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: horn problem

I had the same problem with my 01. I had to push on a certain spot to get it to work. I just gave up on the stock horns and got some air horns online for about $20. Works way better than stock and is much louder.

Old 02-19-2006, 01:21 PM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

do the air horns just replace the stock horns? or do you have to have a different setup? easy to install?

Old 02-19-2006, 01:36 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

There are two options, you can wire it up to the stock horn switch or wire it up to a new button. I figured it would be pointless to wire it up to the stock horns since the switch in the steering wheel was so difficult to work, so I wired it up to a push button starter switch. It is just a few wires and a typical 4 prong relay. It took me about half an hour to wire it up, all you need are some soderless terminals and the wire if you are going to run your own system.

Old 02-19-2006, 04:36 PM
mattyge
Veteran

Hey,
I have the exact same problem only neither one of my buttons work. So instead of fooling around with the pads and airbag etc i got an air horn. Was only like 40bucks and a switch that i just mounted on the lower part of the dash. I really like it. It comes in handy to scare the sh*t outta people who cut me off.

Old 02-19-2006, 11:53 PM
ebxgsxr
Professional

i have the same problem with mine. i havent gotten into anything yet. but the techs @ my shop are saying that it could be the clockswitch or something like that. ill have to get into it and see [:'(]

Old 02-20-2006, 12:12 AM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

This is what I got and it is very loud. http://www.autobarn.net/rodi/wolo400.html

Old 02-20-2006, 02:49 AM
mattyge
Veteran

one thing that might be a problem later on. When you go to sell it or re-safety it they may require the stock horns to work. Just something to keep in mind.

Old 02-20-2006, 10:22 AM
john1998

Can you remove the section where the horn buttons are with out the fear of setting of the airbag? If i can take it off safely, I'am sure I could fix the horn issue.

Old 02-20-2006, 11:12 AM
zipper

I have the same horns in my mr2 spyder because the little beep beep yota horns sucked and in a car that small nobody sees you. I had too many close calls with SUV's so I installed them and they work great.

If you are worried about keeping your stock horn setup for inspection/resale just wire the horns up as others have done here to a push button and don't touch your stock horns. The stock will still be in place and you will also have the air horns.

Quick Reply: horn problem