2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stabalizer/Sway bar removal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 02:32 AM
Tani1500
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Stabalizer/Sway bar removal?

ok if your used to it. i was just totally taken by surprise.

Old 02-21-2006, 02:37 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i have no experenxce personally with it however i know that on the older fords 89-98?? on the f250 and 350s wen we put snow plows on them that you half to take the sway bar off and leave it off unless you remove the mount (something you dont do unles you are never gonna push snow agailn) and i havent hed of anyone having any problems most pepole half to ask what that part is in the back of there truck

Old 02-21-2006, 02:46 AM
Redone4x4
Record Breaker

If I remember correctly, the front sway bar also helps prevent oversteer, which is common on any pick up truck due to the light rear end. They are on almost every truck from the factory, and I would say leave it on for most any on-road driving. Just my $.02 recalling from working in a race car shop years ago...

Old 02-21-2006, 02:52 AM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker

sway bars control your "sway" .. or leaning from side to side going around turns. if you remove that.. theres nothing to keep your truck from tipping over around a corner, plus you better be holding on cuz that thing will lean over and feel like its gonna go over. for your safety, if you mostly drive on street, keep the swaybar on.

Old 02-21-2006, 03:15 AM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

so if sway bars try to get rid of body roll, then getting a stronger (stiffer, i guess) sway bar would eliminate even more body roll, right? does anyone know if stiffer sway bars are made to replace these? i hate the ridiculous body roll in my truck, any corner at a decent speed causes most cups to spill out of the cupholders, and anything not buckled down in the seat either slams into me or the passenger door.

ok im exagerating a little bit. but id love to have less body roll

Old 02-21-2006, 03:48 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i fiugred there would be yays or nays... ill be the test guy!!!!!!!!!!!! after the motor is put back together ill take a good trip with it and with out it... and post my opinoin

Old 02-21-2006, 04:04 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds good shott im kinda currieous

ORIGINAL: muddy_blue_dodge

so if sway bars try to get rid of body roll, then getting a stronger (stiffer, i guess) sway bar would eliminate even more body roll, right? does anyone know if stiffer sway bars are made to replace these? i hate the ridiculous body roll in my truck, any corner at a decent speed causes most cups to spill out of the cupholders, and anything not buckled down in the seat either slams into me or the passenger door.

ok im exagerating a little bit. but id love to have less body roll

if your getting lots of roll check to see if the bushings on your sway bar are wore out (there should be rubber pieces in ither end and on the brackets holding it up and from what i have been told the ware out fairley quickley on rams .wen i had to go for an inspection i changed mine not too long before (i bent it good went off the road and hit a stump dident think it would bend that easy) and the guy asked if i had changed it recintley because he dosent ever see them in good condition wen he inspects them and pepole dont usally check em

Old 02-21-2006, 04:25 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

You get get a kit that converts it to a quick disconect. Friend of mine has it on a Jeep. Its prety cool, a swift kick and it pops right off and its really easy to pop back on. No tools required, can do it right on the trail.

Old 02-21-2006, 04:30 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

nice..ill look into that if i decide to put it back on....hows break goin socha? tear into the motor yet?

Old 02-21-2006, 04:32 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

My break starts March 3rd...I can't wait to tear into her. Should be interesting now that Steve convinced me to replace my titming chain too, with the money I DON'T have!

I'm excited to see how fixing my plenum, timing chain, and modding my keg will help out. I know its not gonne be a HUGE diffrence but it'll still be cool.

Quick Reply: Stabalizer/Sway bar removal?