2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine dies when letting off gas

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 12:14 PM
BradBeyer
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine dies when letting off gas

ok here are specs on my truck:
97 dodge ram 1500, extended cab, 175,000 miles, 2wd, 5.2L, auto trans, jet chip, K&N filter, Helix power intake spacer, headers, and flowmaster exhaust.

I live in Oklahoma. I am having problems when it is cold outside (below 40) that when I let off the gas it wants to die or sometime does die. It only does it when the engine warms up, when the engine is cold it runs fine. I took it to a mechanic to have a diagnostics ran on it and they said that all sensors were in spec range. They said it was my air cleaner was not on all the way. I drove off and that actually worked. It does not get cold here very often so now that it is cold again it is doing it again. I have taken the air cleaner off and put it back on and it still does it. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Brad

Old 02-21-2006, 03:01 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Engine dies when letting off gas

Could be the IAC (idle air control) is sticking. Its on the back side of the tb pointing towards the distributor. IAC will cause a stall at idle if not funtioning correctly.
Remove it (2torx screws) and leave the connector on it. Get someone to turn the key on, off a bunch of times and see if it moves every time. The plunger moves in/out when key on/off, dont force it or help it. If intermittant, try spraying it with tb cleaner and see if it helps. Still does it replace it. I replaced mine last year due to intermittant stall. Cleaning it helped but I coudl still see it hang up on occassion so I replaced it.

Old 02-21-2006, 06:18 PM
BradBeyer
Veteran

Thank you for the reply....I did check that and I could not see it hang up at all. Like I said it is only when it is cold outside but the engine is warmed up. that is what makes me think it is sucking in cold air from somewhere but I just don't know where or how to find where.

Old 02-21-2006, 07:40 PM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker

does your truck idle rough? smoke? any weird noises?

Old 02-21-2006, 11:47 PM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

Mine did that. Was a combo of a weak battery and the IAC gunked with crap.

Old 02-22-2006, 05:30 PM
DURTGURL81
Rookie

mine died like that when the plenum gasket was blown.. like it wasnt breathing properly and died. clean out your TB and intake, and see what that does.. but you might need to rip off the manifold and see if you have oil down there. that could cause the truck to die as well.

shannon

Old 02-22-2006, 06:30 PM
BradBeyer
Veteran

Well I have tried all the options but now it is warm outside and I can not get it to do it anymore.

Old 02-23-2006, 03:51 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 224 Likes on 209 Posts

one suggestion is to pull the motor agian and put some freeze spray on it, then see how it moves. basiclly simulating cold condtions on the IAC motor...

Old 02-24-2006, 03:02 AM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

might sound wierd but i had the same problem right after i had the air box off... if the airbox (or the CAI ) isnt seated right and theres a gap that isnt sealing right on the top of the TB itll do that...did it in my case any...if you have the stock airbox make sure that goofy looking "hose" clamp that hols the airbox ontop of the tb is seated right and holding down the airbox tight and not leaving gaps

Old 02-24-2006, 03:18 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maby you have a week batt, (i tend to say that alot lol) wen its cold out you get less power out of it so the alt is working harder to compansate. wen my batt craped out i had to keep a foot on the gas to keep it running. easy ways to check 1 have your batt load tested any shop can do it most parts stors have a load tester too usally of you just bring in the bat thell test it for free 2 watch your volt meeter wen you start the truck see if its high or low if its high could be bad batt if its low could be bad alt (#1 is more aucrate thow)

Quick Reply: Engine dies when letting off gas