2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Oil usage

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 01:00 PM
ericd
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil usage

I have a 1997 club cab 4x4 5.9L.

My problem is that my truck seems to use alot of oil when pulling a trailer,but not when normal driving. It doesn't leak very much at all when sitting in the drivewayand it doesn't smoke when driving. It will have a puff of smoke when you start it in the morning but thats it. If anyone could help I would appreciate it.

Eric

Old 02-21-2006, 05:49 PM
DURTGURL81
Rookie
Default RE: Oil usage

i have taken my 2000 on 11 cross country trips.. from the time it was new untill now and i have 150k on it. but i will say its always seemed to use a lot more oil when its heavily in demand.. when im either towing. or climbing mountains. the colorado rockies, and the i beleive black mountains.. i ended up adding 1 quart of oil after i got out of the mountains.

but it doesnt leak, and doesnt burn oil when its in regular demand. only when im putting my truck through some rough terrain when the engine eneds to work harder.

whats going on with you seems normal to me, and your truck is an older model than mine.

shannon

Old 02-21-2006, 07:48 PM
20dodgeram01
Record Breaker

yeah probally just burns it up in the engine with all that added wear and tear on it

Old 02-22-2006, 07:34 AM
DANS

Mine was doing the same thing. One possible cause is a blown plenum gasket. Lots of info if you do search on the subject. Look down through the TB and if you see oil it's the gasket.

Old 02-22-2006, 05:25 PM
DURTGURL81
Rookie

i have changed my plenum. but have not put her to work like that since. though it looks like ill be having another trip out to cali. but im trying to figure out what the noise is. other than that my truck is in tip top shape.
but the plenum when it was replaced seemed like i got some good power back, didnt have a hesitation to accelerate. but when it was changed there was a lot of oil in their. and it took about 2,5 hours to do. but worth the 100 bucks.

shannon

Quick Reply: Oil usage