2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Superchip programmer

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 02:21 AM
frksho311
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superchip programmer

Got a 97 1500 5.2 and want a programmer. Hypertech makes one for the 97 but Superchip says their programmer is for 98 and up. They don't make one for a 97. Could I use one made for a 98? What do you think is the difference? I asked Customer Support but the answer was standard corperate speak and legal crap. They just said they don't make one for 97's. Do you think it's a smog thing or what? EPA issues? Does anyone know or have any good guesses? I can't be the only guy with a 97 wanting the Superchip.......

Old 02-28-2006, 02:26 AM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Superchip programmer

i have the superchip and like it however i would just go with the hypertec they both do the same thing and about the same power increace hypertec is a little cheaper and that way you know ittl work for you here is the cheapest place to get both

http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/s...ance_Chips.htm -superchip
http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/s...GTKW=hypertech -hyperec

Old 02-28-2006, 06:22 AM
mopowar
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Superchip programmer

I agree with ryans590. I also have a Superchip programmer and love it, but the Hypertech will yield the same results. If you are thinking about spending all that money just to give it a whirl, then first go to the Superchips web site and look at the instruction pdf for any given year. In the troubleshooting section you will find error codes that require you to go to the dealership and get pcm updates or call them and send the unit back to have it updated. So, even if you were to buy the correct programmer for your model year, it still might not work. From the engineering aspect of auto manufacturers it is much easier to fck with the pcm from year to year than anything else. This is why my truck came with a stock "death flash" instead of a 1lb piece of aluminum and a felpro gasket.

Quick Reply: Superchip programmer