2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A Few Problems...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 11:28 PM
DaedalusX54
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Few Problems...

Hey guys, first off, I'm new to these forums, so if these questions have been asked i'm sorry. I looked back ten pages and searched but didnt come up with anything.

I have a '99 Ram 1500 5.2L 2WD, Lowered (4 and 6 I think, was lowered already when I got it.) with no other mods except for a Flowmaster exhaust. I have a few questions.

First, when I start the truck in cold weater or after it has been sitting for a while it runs really rough for about 15 mins. I don't mean it sounds a little rough, but more like it's only running on 2 or 4 cylinders. It acts like its going to die on me. I figured it was just because of the cold weather, but it also does it in hot weather. If it's around 70 - 75 degrees it starts and runs fine, but if it is around 80, it does the same thing as if it was cold. Really, really confusing me. I have had a few people tell me it's a vacuum leak, and the reasoning they gave me sounds believable, but I don't know for sure.

Second, my speedometer won't read anything until I hit 25mph. If i'm doing under that, it acts dead. once I hit 25 it springs to life and shoots up to the right speed. But as soon as I slow down again it drops dead when it hits 25mph. ???

Third I getting oil out of my exhaust when it is revving high (like 4k). I rarely get it that high but when I do it blows oil out the exhaust. I was thinking a blown head gasket, but after I put some Lucas oil stabilizer in it it significantly cut down on the amount blowing out. There is also no oil in the coolant, so I was thinking it might be something else.

And last, does anyone make an alingment kit for a lowered 99 ram?

Thanks in advance for any help. Other than these problems, I love my truck. Always been a Mopar fan.

Old 02-28-2006, 11:36 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: A Few Problems...

well i can give input on a cupple of your probs...
the spedo - check your rear speed sencer do a serch on that and you should find lota of info on it they tend to crap out on us
oil in exhust - check your plume to a serch on it as well anouther prob we have

Old 03-01-2006, 12:36 AM
muddy_blue_dodge
Record Breaker

this is random, it doesnt relate to your questions, but put some pics on here of it id love to see it

Old 03-01-2006, 12:46 AM
Socha_62
Record Breaker

It could very well be a vaccuum leak. I would also check your IAC if its idleing funky. Wouldn;t hurt to get the fuel presure check out either.

I agree with Ryan about the Rear Speed Sensor, 95% thats your problem with the speedo.

I would check the plenum too about the oil consumption.

Old 03-01-2006, 01:34 AM
DaedalusX54

Thanks for all the input so far! Didn't expect replies so quickly.

Here's a pic for you. Not sure how much it's dropped, but most people say it looks like a 4/6. The back was originally sat as low as the front, but the person who had it before me raised it back up some because there was only like an inch between the axle and frame, and bumps caused a violent ride [8D]

Old 03-01-2006, 01:59 AM
DaedalusX54

Still looking for info on a alignment kit, any would be appreciated.

Guess i'll be working on my truck tomorrow. Hopefully I can get rid of at least one of the problems.

Quick Reply: A Few Problems...